NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

My wife and I were just about to go out on our Friday night datenight when I noticed that my brand new front tire seemed rather low. I took a quick check of the tire pressure and it showed a nice solid 0 psi. So time to pull the ole spare out of the trunk....rignt?

Ya well that sucker was dead flat too, so I went to remove the front wheel and take it to a gas station to have them look at it. Thats when I discovered that my lug nut wrench had too big of a head on it and wouldn't fit into the recessed holes of my brand new rims. Bah.. off to Wal-Mart for a can of fix-o-flat we went.

We got back home, filled the tire, drove to the gas station, filled it up the rest of the way and checked the other tires. Thats when I noticed that the rear wheels felt a bit warm to the touch... i.e. I almost burnt myself when I touched the rim.

So today I need to take apart the rear brakes and install some new pad sliders and clean everything up. I hope that fixes it this time.

I also need to check that front tire for any damage. It seems to be holding air (for now) so it may just not have sealed properly to the rim but I suspect that there is a nail hole in there somewhere.

Wish me luck... I will update later.

Tom aka Fowvay

PS... heard a funny lil clunk going thru a corner last night too... hoping that was just something kicked up from the road and nothing serious. :lol:

PSS... see even I screw up with my VW... :p

·
Aphid is FUN!
1,747 Posts
and I thought the 'I got a flat AND the spare was flat only happened in sitcoms.':p

Suxors man, but at least you'll have it ready for next time.;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
maybe the valve is leaking...once it did happen to me when one of the valve caps i had, missaligned its o-ring and it was psssssss....even with the valve cap on....good luck!

·
Premium Member
4,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Diagnoses...

The clunk Dunno... must have been some debris. Nothing is loose or missing. :confused:

The Flat tire No nails, punctures or other wise....must have just not been perfectly sealed....

Rear Brakes sticking The brake pad sliders on the right side had quite a bit of corrosion on them. So I installed new sliders and cleaned up the surface undernieth. I did the left side as well just for good measure... totally fixed the problem. No more sticking parking brake.

Oh ya and these Green stuff pads are wearing like iron. I wore out my OEM rear pads in 12,500 miles and with 12,000 miles on these pads I have over 90% remaining... nice :)

Trunk Rattle Ya ... I have a new trunk rattle. I think it was the rear license plate buzzing over bumps and when I left the line. I pulled it out a touch... will have to test drive it again to make sure but I think that cured it.

Lugnut wrench Ordering a Gorilla wrench from www.tirerack.com with a 17mm socket. That should solve that problem...

whew... busy day of problems with the bug... and none of them her fault. :lol:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts