NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My "new" '99 TDI has a open hatch sensor that intermitently comes on, sometimes erratically. The red light on the dash illuminates.

Any idea where I would find this sensor, is it associated with the mechanical latch?

The most irritating aspect is that a couple of times now the car alarm has come on at odd hours, I assume this is the sensor flaking out.

Thanks,

Chuck

·
"Flippin Sweet"
133 Posts
I am going to the dealer tomorrow for that exact reason. I have a 2003 and it happened after a hard rain.They tell me it is a faulty microswitch? I read on a post that water gets in the third brakelight and the switch gets wet! Some people have said they have been back to the dealer multiple times for this!
I'll let you know what happens.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That makes complete sense. I live in New England and it has been raining here, and raining, and raining...

I'm eager to hear what you find out!

·
"Flippin Sweet"
133 Posts
Got the car back from the dealer....they said water was getting in through the third brakelight (I mentioned that I read it on the forum when I brought it in).It was shorting out the trunk lock so they replaced the trunk lock and the third brakelight. It also opens on the first click instead of having to do it twice. I'll see how it goes..........

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the report! Good luck. Mine was behaving today, still lots of rain.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Since Hurricane Wilma, my wife's NB has been doing this exact same thing (among other wierd electrical issues). What was the approximate cost of the repair?

·
I like 'em fast! :)
25 Posts
Are you serious?

Mine just started doing this Saturday! Now the trunk won't even open without the key, and that was right after the hurricane. I figured that's why the sensor was bugging out, but maybe not.

Keep us updated! :cool:

-Ducky

·
Registered
18 Posts
Same with mine. I have taken this apart before, I pulled and cleaned the connection and it started to work again.

·
"Flippin Sweet"
133 Posts
It was under warranty...(have 35000 miles)but now it is taking 2 clicks to open again! I talked to the previous owner and he said he took it back multiple times for the double click problem and they adjust it and a while later it happens again!
I might just deal with it as it is a hassle to keep going back.......

·
Registered
7 Posts
My "new" '99 TDI has a open hatch sensor that intermitently comes on, sometimes erratically. The red light on the dash illuminates.

Any idea where I would find this sensor, is it associated with the mechanical latch?

The most irritating aspect is that a couple of times now the car alarm has come on at odd hours, I assume this is the sensor flaking out.

Thanks,

Chuck
I am having this same problem and have replaced the switch and latch mechanisms. Does your switch automatically open your trunk after you shut it? This is the problem I am having...you can actually hear the switch activate and open the trunk. Does this happen with anyone else???

1 - 11 of 11 Posts