NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, newbie here (please don't hit) and a search turned up nothing, so i thought i'd ask...

I've got a 99 Beetle which has the trunk handle and keyhole hidden behind the VW emblem on the trunk.

Just bought an '06 Convertible and it just has a flat VW emblem on the trunk. No handle or keyhole.

Popping the trunk doesn't really open it very far and you have to dig under the edge to pull it open all the way. I'm worried about scratches on my new toy, so i was wondering if there are any replacement emblems that have a handle like my '99 does.
 

·
big poster turned lurker.
Joined
·
9,487 Posts
I'm pretty sure you cant swap a pre-01 badge to a vert. Especially with the 06's, as i've heard that the emblems are smaller. If you really concerned about scratches, maybe you should look into some 3m clear bra material for the bumper cover area under that hatch, so you dont scratch anyhting.
I've also heard it's good to put some if this material under the front seatbelt area to prevent that paint from rubbing off.
 

·
Get in.Buckle Up.Hang on.
Joined
·
6,525 Posts
Toad said:
I'm pretty sure you cant swap a pre-01 badge to a vert. Especially with the 06's, as i've heard that the emblems are smaller.
1. Wrong dood, see my thread. ;-)

2. If the '06 is smaller, then a larger badge would still fit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Toad, any idea where i could purchase a handle/emblem? And the bra tape is a great idea too.

Bills, i had looked for spoilers that would work on the convertible. hadn't seen that one before. Where can i find one? (though i have no intention of using it as a handle) :D
 

·
Get in.Buckle Up.Hang on.
Joined
·
6,525 Posts
Joranthalus said:
Bills, i had looked for spoilers that would work on the convertible. hadn't seen that one before. Where can i find one? (though i have no intention of using it as a handle) :D
It's the Bernt mini-spoiler. I bought it 4 years ago for my Turbo S (RIP) from a company in Germany, but I can't find the info now. You might be able to get it from www.aiwana.com , they carry the Bernt gauge pod...
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
14,770 Posts
Joranthalus said:
Just bought an '06 Convertible
Hi. Can't help with the issue, I just want to see that '06 'vert!!:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
The black triangle on our NBC slides right to reveal a slot for the key.

On the remote, I was told to press and hold the remote to get the boot to open.
 

·
dunno513
Joined
·
1,236 Posts
Whatever you do, don't rely on pushing on the newer "lockless" style emblems to push your hatch closed. I did this once and watched as the whole panel flexed in, then back out as I pushed.

Close it by using a few finger tips at the very outer edge of the hatch where the support for the sheetmetal is strongest. I have contemplated using some vinyl protector right at the edge to prevent scratches where I push from.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
3m clear bra material

Is that difficult to DIY? I just bought an 05 NBC( It was in PERFECT condition when I bought it last week!) and poor little Ringo already has a door ding and rock chip and some rear bumper damage from these M*******s.

The dealership where I bought ringo offered to put a clear bra on Ringo, but they also wanted to charge $1500 to do it.


Thanks
Toad said:
If you really concerned about scratches, maybe you should look into some 3m clear bra material for the bumper cover area under that hatch, so you dont scratch anyhting.
I've also heard it's good to put some if this material under the front seatbelt area to prevent that paint from rubbing off.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top