NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hiya kids. With midamaerica motorworks dropping all NB products i have been perusing their clearance stuff. I noticed this front valance to replace the stock grill.

1. Does anyone like this thing? Any thoughts?? Concerns??

2. Does anyone have this piece? Does anyone have pics of this piece on attached to a car?? I'd love to see what it actually looks like.

Also, same thoughts on the front spoiler (the black pic).

Attachments

·
Banned
3,877 Posts
Looks to me if yo took the grill out you would have a caractre font end. but not sure certainlty does'nt look bad. better check for availability though before getting your hopes up.

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NOT GOOD!

That front end has a HUGE lip on the front not visible from the photo and it's NOT made of fiberglass. It's workable, but it's going to take MAJOR work. Mainly cutting, filing, sanding, and a WHOLE lot of prep before this will even be REMOTELY ready for installation.

I'm a little peeved right now. I wasn't expecting a lipped front end. It's cool though. All things happen for a reason if you believe in fate. I for one do believe in fate. So, i will now take these lemons and make some meeeeeeeean lemonade. :goodjob:

·
Banned
3,877 Posts
FineExampl said:
NOT GOOD!

That front end has a HUGE lip on the front not visible from the photo and it's NOT made of fiberglass. It's workable, but it's going to take MAJOR work. Mainly cutting, filing, sanding, and a WHOLE lot of prep before this will even be REMOTELY ready for installation.

I'm a little peeved right now. I wasn't expecting a lipped front end. It's cool though. All things happen for a reason if you believe in fate. I for one do believe in fate. So, i will now take these lemons and make some meeeeeeeean lemonade. :goodjob:
Soooo your saying you bought it? and it showed up? and now you've held it up to your car and realized how much work it is going to take to fit it and make it look good. Yeaaaa I know the feeling I bought a wings west body kit definately not a paint peel and stick job... It sucks but not as bad as shelling out $850.00 only to have to dump it for half the price.EEERRRRRRRRRRR, good luck man. can you post some pics of the lip problem maybe from a different angle? just so I can razz you about how much work it is going to take.:stickpok: :stickpok:

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Gilligan, rumor has it you're banned. This is not in response to you and i would appreciate no "razzing" if you do still exist.

SO, that said...the remainder is for the people who's opinions are a little more lighthearted and polite.

I have attached some shots of the piece from various angles to try and show what i am dealing with here.

My plan, should i decide to keep this thing, would be to trim off the underside portion about 2-3inches to eliminate that warp to the underside, that would eliminate problem one. Problem number two is the fog lights. I held it up to my grill and right where the fog lights are is where the pillars are on the new valance. Problem number three is that the primer that was originally used is flaky in some places. I'm assuming this is the smallest and easiest problem to fix as i could just re-prime the sucker once the blemishes are sanded out.

Now, being that i'm not knowledgeable of these things, would it make better sense to mount the valance, then paint it. Or should i have it painted, and worry about mounting it later.

Another question is that in the instructions it says to remove the factory grill as this is basically a replacement. Would this help with the fog light situation? I'd be able to just reposition them if they fit through the opening on the valance.

With the warping, could i repair this with heat? Could i perhaps get one of them hot air things and mold i back into shape by hand?

This is going o be a major undertaking for mer, personally. I'm a single guy working two jobs to make a life for myself with limited free time. It should be interesting.

So, any help with this will be greatly appreciated. Also, i will drive a reasonable distance if someone were to feel like assisting with the project.

I'm pretty sure i'm keeping it, but i just don't know if i will exchange it to try and get a better one in better shape as far as the warping goes.

Have i bitten off more than i can chew here? Come on experts...help a brutha out. Pimp my ride.

OOOH, does anyone have this valance??? Pics of it installed???:confused:

Attachments

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
I am really surprised at how much of a lif that thing actually has, but i must admit, it looks lretty good. It's got a sporty engde to it, but is moer subtle than a Cup or ugly -ass evo frunt bumper. The drivers-side vent would make an awesome Ram-Air port. And the other side would feen the smic nicely.

ALso that lip would ass dome downforce at really high speeds, sorta like the front splitters yoou see on alot of bugs. It really doenst help unless your doin like 100+mph, but it would prolly look nice all painted up until the forst time you hit a nice dip or speed bump.

But i'd say, if you like hte look of it, go without fogs, or get some hella micro-de's and hide me behind the mesh, or sell it to someone with a gl.

Oh yeah, hte fogs attach to the factory grill, so your preactically sutck without em if you take it off.

·
Banned
3,877 Posts
I;m not gonna razz you man. and yes I was a banned man for a time. just wanted to say It really does'nt look that bad alittle crooked but it can be straightened out. it looks as though it was made for a non fog light car though. well good luck with it.:)

·
Banned
3,877 Posts
The more I think about it, I can't wait to see you get this front end on I think it's going to look alot better than we think. I take it is made of urethane? which should be quite flexible.

·
I love my family!
2,887 Posts
If the piece is urethane, an ordinary hair dryer and some gentle coaxing should get you to where you need to be. I was able to straighten out a "boo boo" in my neighbor's bumper in a similar manner. As far as trimming goes, I'd invest in a Dremel rotary cutter tool for a more proffesional cut.

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So, my bedroom being the warmest room in the whole house, i've kept the valance in there on the floor. Some of the warping is minimizing. This is a positive sign. Perhaps i could still trim the excess or reinforce it with a strategically placed aluminum rod and epoxy it in place.

So, i haven't let this project go and i'll be keeping it. Now i'm in the thinking process.

Okay! So! If i am correct, the stock fogs appear to be too large for the side portholes on the valance. I have 5 options.
1. Eliminate fogs.
2. Buy new, smaller fogs.
3. Modify the side portholes on the valance to accomodate the stock fogs.
4. Reposition the fogs to the center area of the valance by cutting through the grill and mounting them there, somehow.
5. Mounting them behind the grill.

I wonder what these options would look like. I wish to god someone had photos of this valance installed so i could have an idea of what i'm working with here.

I also wonder if the stock fogs would fit if the part of the grill that surrounds them was removed. I wonder if i should just invest in a new set of fogs when install time comes along.

Thoughts?? Suggestions??

·
I love my family!
2,887 Posts
I would say that since you are doing an aftermarket grill, go with aftermarket fogs. Maybe you can do a "stealth mount" behind the grill so they won't be seen unless they are on. You should be able to use the factory wiring, and the aftermarket ones will most likely give superior lighting anyway. Like the Hella Micro DE xenon. They are pricey, but you could probably drive at night with those lights alone.:D

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oyveychris said:
I would say that since you are doing an aftermarket grill, go with aftermarket fogs. Maybe you can do a "stealth mount" behind the grill so they won't be seen unless they are on. You should be able to use the factory wiring, and the aftermarket ones will most likely give superior lighting anyway. Like the Hella Micro DE xenon. They are pricey, but you could probably drive at night with those lights alone.:D
I just priced those. They are $700. For that much, i might as well get a bunch of Caractere parts. Nah, my theme is "Budget Show Car/Daily Driver". Hence all the stuff i've gotten on clearance. I can get an extra set of OEM fogs for $80-90 apiece. Or others as well. I dunno. Stuff to think on.:confused:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts