VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when my aunt was driving to the DMV her car stalled by the local high school. It wouldn't start so she walked to my moms work and was waiting for a family member to tow her car to the mechanic a couple blocks away. When she got back, someone egged her car and the sun had baked it on! Paint was ruined in that area. When my aunt gave me the bug I tried EVERYTHING to get it off and got absolutely no where. Then a door-to-door salesmen came by with a cleaning solution and saw my car and said it would take the crusted egg off with a slight abrasive. I bought this miracle soap and used a scotch brite pad.... I made everything worse :banghead: , it took the egg off but left TONS of scratches. I tried all kinds of polishes and waxes, but those scratches are not going away. I was thinking of sanding the paint and then primer it with spray can primer, sanding it finer, then primer again, then like 15(?) layers of black spray paint, then A LOT of spray clear coat. I am in high school and have no money whatsoever. I just want to know what you think. I just want a nicer looking car until I get a job and can afford a paint job, the scratches stand out really bad. The picture below is the only picture I have of that side of the car. Any input is appreciated, thanks!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
32 Posts
Alright first off all what kind of pad did you use grey or red?
Try getting some 1500 wet sand paper and then some 2000 grit and then buff out with some rubbing compound always try in small areas first

·
BEAR
109 Posts
if you are broke and in high school I can honestly recommend getting a part time job at a make ready department of a local car dealer or detail shop. Talk with the guys at the shop about your paint problems and they will advise you and even likely help you off the clock to fix your paint issues. You will learn a valuable skill that will be helpful for the rest of your life AND make extra money for fixing up your ride.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for replying! The pad I used was like a scrubber for dishes, the scratches are really deep and into primer I think. The paint restoration seems like a good product to try. I also need to paint my bumper because it's silver. Would spray paint be a good choice for that? I will look into getting a job at one of those places. Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts