NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying the lowering springs off VW Driver Gear... I would like to retain what's left of my factory warranty and still lower my ride...

Does anyone have the Driver's Gear springs? How much would they lower my ride? Or should I just save up and wait and get something better (ahem... and more expensive... ahem...)?

I don't want to slam my car... I tend to go for subtle... At the same time, I would like my efforts to be visible to both myself and others...

http://drivergear.vw.com/store/accessory.asp?parent_category_id=12&category_id=42&subcategory_id=162&product_id=2081

·
MkV Pilot
1,657 Posts
The Driver Gear springs are really Eibach Pro-Kit springs. If you buy them from VW you'll keep your warranty, but you can probably find a better price on Prokit springs somewhere else. I run Pro-Kits on my car (1.8T auto) and it lowered my front about 1.5", leaving a 1-finger gap between the fender and the tire. The back has about a 2-2.5 finger gap depending on the load and how much gas I have.

Some say that the VW springs are a little taller then regular Eibachs, but some have gotten off the shelf Eibachs from VW. It all depends on the dealer, it seems.

What do you plan on doing with your car? Street only? Track duty? Spirited driving? That'll determine what you should go with. Also, your stock shocks will wear out faster when lowered, despite what VW might say. You'll want to look into a set of good sport shocks for the future, IMO. Of course, that tacks on more money, but I believe it to be a worthwhile investment. I went with Bilstein Sports and I love them to death. Lots firmer than stock but not uncomfortable at all.

Decide on what you want your car to do and then do a little homework. You'll be better off in the long run:)

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My car is my daily driver... I'd like it sporty and fast, with a nice stiff suspension, but still driveable in Cleveland conditions...

The only things I really plan on doing are suspension and chipping it, and perhaps one day, a new exhaust.

·
Performance Freak
137 Posts
I had the VW-drivergear Eibachs and they dropped my car about 1.5". 2001 GLX 1.8T
I had them coupled with KYB AGX adjustable shocks/struts.
I found the springs to give great handling and a nice ride, but it would bottom sometimes over big bumps with a huge bang. I ran my front shocks on full stiff which helped a bit, but those springs will work best with stiff sport shocks like Bilsteins or the matching Pro-dampers. With the matching shocks, the ride quality should be the best.

I changed to Neuspeed Sofsport springs (same shocks) and I find them to be much more to my liking. They are slightly firmer, have more travel (lowered only .5") and handle amazingly. (same rate as Neuspeed sports, but less drop)
I'm really happy with my suspension now since I didn't want such a drop, that's why I originally chose the Drivergear springs, they were supposed to be 1" drop, but my car was very low.
Since I drive in snow and have crappy roads near me, I find the Neuspeeds to be better suited to daily driving than the Eibachs. The difference is I can still drive spiritedly on bad roads instead of tippy toeing and looking out for bumps.
To me, that is important.

They're great springs, but without the correct shocks, they tend to be a little soft for the drop. Ask your dealer about how they'll work with the stock shocks and what they do with the bump stops when they install the Eibachs (cut them or not). Their answer will be interesting, I'm sure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts