NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2003 VW Beetle convertible is my daily driver. Just less than a year ago the OEM battery died. I opted for an Optima replacement from Amazon. I was away for a week a couple of weeks ago and when I got back last Monday the car won't start. I called Amazon and they promised a replacement battery. Before the replacement got to me I figured out what the issue was and fixed it. Now I have a replacement battery I don't need - and kudos to Amazon, the replacement battery arrived just two days after I called them. But, frankly, I don't think I need it - maybe I am being naive here! The problem is that I can not return it becasue it is considered hazardous shipment and I really don't have any interest trickle charging this new battery for probably 5-6 years. If interested, please e-mail me (or PM me, but e-mail is better) - I have not even opened the box yet. If you search, you will find that I actually have a post here on when I installed the original Optima (http://newbeetle.org/forums/new-beetle-convertible/56059-2003-nbc-battery-replacement-diy.html).

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Craigslist

Might also help if you mention where you are located as I think only local people to you might be interested.

So what was the problem? Why was the battery dead?

Just because a battery does not start the car, does not mean the battery is bad! Always need to charge and test a low battery before condemning it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Craigslist

Might also help if you mention where you are located as I think only local people to you might be interested.

So what was the problem? Why was the battery dead?

Just because a battery does not start the car, does not mean the battery is bad! Always need to charge and test a low battery before condemning it.
Thanks for the Craiglist reminder,.. and I am located in Salisbury, MD.

My radar detector stayed on during the time I was away and I believe that drained the battery enough to not allow a clean start - maybe I'm wrong, but I think that was the problem. I was going to do the math to see how long it would take the detector to drain the battery but still procrastinating.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts