NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for any info. Has any one ever considered using an blue top optima battery in there tdi? I may need one and I was going to get a factory 48group battery when I ran across one at advance auto that had 800cca's and 120 min. reserve (or something to that effect). They have one in deep cycle and one in starting. How about the other colors red/yellow top optima batteries? Any opinions ? I know its not the same group but I think it will fit.

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
I've used excide deep cycles and even a marine version, deep cycle batteries are great if you're going to be runners mg high current accessories.(mostly big scar audio setups, and winches and stuff in 4x4s)and want to use them for a little while with the engine off.

My only advice is that you should also invest in a trickle charger if the car sits for any period of time.. These types of batteries, although completely sealed, don't like it at all when they get completely drained.

·
Reverse engineered UFO's
64 Posts
I had a blue-top Optima in my boat. I sold the boat and since I paid nearly 200 bucks for the battery I moved it into my Mazda (Ranger) pickup. It worked fine BUT it started giving troubles at about 3 years old... Would run down and not start etc. I had it checked but every time it checked out OK. Of course by then it had been jumped and run for a while. Anyway; before it reached 4 years old I finally took truck into Sam's Club and had a new battery installed for about $75.00. No problems since.

Four years for a battery that cost close to $200? I don't think so.

In my 2006 Tdi I installed a Wal-Mart battery (appx. $82.00) in 2010 and it is still working great! VW wanted $238.00 to replace battery??? Good luck with that one.

Hope this helps you a bit.

·
Registered
146 Posts
My experience with Optima hasn't been pleasant.
I've had three Red Tops fail over the last 6 years.
Thankfully all still under warranty.
The Autozone manager stated they are the highest failure item they carry.
As suggested, I now keep it charged over the weekend with a trickle charger hoping to avoid the next failure (18 months so far).

·
1999 Beetle TDI
332 Posts
Don't let them go dead...They will never recover to what they originally were.I had one in my racecar and the trickle charger took a crap.The Optima battery eventually went dead over the winter and in the spring it would not start.Had problems with it ever since.I replaced it with an Interstate 100 cca ad never had issues.Even in the dead cold of winter I can start the 12.0:1 Compression motor up..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I'll buy a regular battery if thats my problem. I wish that's all it was. thanks for the info I had thought about one for my gasser

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think I'll buy a regular battery if thats my problem. I wish that's all it was. thanks for the info I had thought about one for my gasser
I've had really good luck with the higher grade Walmart batteries. But I understand the OEM VW battery is pretty darn good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts