NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
SgtBeetle
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I correct to assume that my 99 1.8T has a limited slip, and ABS? I think that they came standard, but manual and idiot lights don't confirm or denay, nor do I trust them. I am sure I have an LSD, by the way the car "hops" when I hammer it low gears in the wet, but some conformation from you all would be great. I also wanted to say,again, how much fun it is to drive this car! I love making idiots in expensive sports cars, and kids in ricers look stupid!:D :D :D

·
Get in.Buckle Up.Hang on.
6,525 Posts
NB's do not have LSD's. You have ABS brakes and probably ASR (might be called something else on the older models) which is sort of 'slip assistance' for the wheels, i.e. the 'hops'. There's a button under the radio u can use to turn if off and you'll get off the line much faster with it turned off.

·
SgtBeetle
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know NB's came with an electronic locking diff, which is what you are talking about. I don't have that, so I guess that leaves me with ASR "ant slip regulation",which should also mean I have ABS?

·
SgtBeetle
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK I think I have it now. Should have ELD electronic locking diff, and ABS, as standard. The ASR-anti slip regulation was an option. Thats what I seem to have found, anyone have anything different?

·
6,525 Posts
BTW, since u don't have ASR, the 'hops' are actually are caused by the crummy rubber engine mounts (I thought u were hopping under acceleration in wet weather). U replace them with polyurethane mounts, it gets rid of the hops...

I have ESP which I believe is a combination of ASR, ABS and one other feature I can't seem to remember right now...:rolleyes: :D

·
6,525 Posts
Electronic Stability Program

Electronic Stability Program (ESP®) is a registered trademark of the Robert Bosch GmbH. ESP compares the driver's intended direction in steering and braking inputs, to the vehicle's response, via lateral acceleration, rotation (yaw) and individual wheel speeds. ESP then brakes individual front or rear wheels and/or reduces excess engine power as needed to help correct understeer (plowing) or oversteer (fishtailing). ESP also integrates all-speed traction control, which senses drive-wheel slip under acceleration and individually brakes the slipping wheel or wheels, and/or reduces excess engine power, until control is regained. ESP cannot override a car's physical limits. If a driver pushes the possibilities of the car's chassis and ESP too far, ESP cannot prevent an accident.

·
SgtBeetle
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Go to the VW site. The hopping was wet/concrete conditons. I got the info from the VW site, my manual, and I googled an article for the 99 1.8T. I would be happy to give you the websites I got that from. ASR and the ELD are seperate systems.

·
SgtBeetle
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My manual talks about ELD & ASR, I just couldn't figure out which, if any , was standard and which was an option. I have it now. The VW site says that the new ones(05) have ELD, ASR and ESP. Check it out.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
some 99's dont have the asr button, is yours an early 99?

·
SgtBeetle
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
NO button. Not sure if it is early or not.All I know is my manual talks about Electronic Diff Lock(EDL), and Anti Slip Regulation(ASR) Which means one or both WHERE available, and judging by how the car drives, and the fact I have no button, I am going to assume I have EDL. Does anyone know how to decode the options codes?

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
uhmm, i dont think any beetle came with a type of limited slip.

i'm not too mechanical, imho, but this was my understanding:
i dont know of any electrical ones, but i know that there are aftermarket bolt-on ones. well isnt wheel hop supposed to be stopped with a limited slip? or is that with upgraded suspension and engine mounts?

i also thought that all 1.8t's came with ASR or ESP, but i guess it was still an option on early ones.

Well, that was a waste of a post.

oh yeah, there's ricers in newport? or are ya goin to fall river to eat some rice?

·
SgtBeetle
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I find plenty on the island, but also in the rive, and up 24:D

I figured out that the 99'1.8T had EDL, and ASR was an option. There is a post about it on here, but I also got the info off the web.

·
Premium Member
4,319 Posts

1999-2006 New Beetles

ABS (antilock braking system)

There are sensors on the hubs that monitor wheel speed.

If one or more wheels exceed a predetermined maximum

deacceleration rate it will automaitically pulse that brake or

brakes untill the deacceleration rate goes back with in

parameters. (can not be turned off)

1.8T's

EDL (electronic diferential lock)

For speeds up to 25mph the ECU uses the ABS sensors to determine if

one front wheel is spinning faster than the preset parameters

and will apply braking pressure to the faster spinning wheel

to get the other one up to speed.

It will not prevent wheel spin only allow both wheels to spin

at the same rate. (can not be turned off)

1999-2001 1.8T

ASR. (anti slip regulator)

A traction control system that uses the ABS sensors on all

four wheels to determine if the front wheels are

spinning faster than the rear wheels. ASR will then use the

DBW (drive by wire) throttle to back off power

untill the front and rear wheels are accelerating at the same

rate. You can turn this off when wheel spin is desirable.

TurboS and all 2002-2005 Turbo models and 200?-2006 TDI models

ESP.(electronic stability program)

Combines all the features of EDL, ASR and ABS plus adds Yaw

sensors to determine if the vehicle is begining to

spin. In these cases it will use the DBW and ABS to bring the

vehicle back in line. It will touch a brake, back

off power or accelerate to control the spin.

It is still possible to spin out the vehicle but it raises the

limits in emergancy manuevers and loose and

slippery conditions.

When you turn off ESP you are turning off the ASR functions

and the ability for the vehicle to automatically

control a spin. This is desirerable in loose heavy gravel,

Deep snow, race tracks, and when trying to acheive

maxinum acceleration (such as in the 1/4 mile)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts