NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Wheeeeeeeee!
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the appropriate forum, but here it goes. If I'm wrong, feel free to move, delete and/or yell at me.

Looking for someone in SoCal (preferably OC, or else willing to travel to OC, hehe) to assist me in retro-wheeling my Bug.

No parts yet - working on that, I want to make sure I can get them on first, and I definitely don't have the tools to do it.

This is one of the things that I really, really want done to the punch buggy, and while I'm able to gather together the supplies, I am too afraid of messing up and breaking something to attempt drilling on my own for fear of ruining my wheels.

Already have the steelies on, just need to buy the hubcaps, clips and beauty rings :D

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
1. Read the how-to...subbing 10-24 allen-head bolts and lock nuts for the rivets. makes it easier to change a clip if you have to. :)

2. visit wolfsburgwest.com and pick up 8 packages of BRAZILIAN clips for a pre-65 Type1 and 8 hubcaps for a 68-79 Type1. This should run you around $130 or so...gives you spares, you will break clips and lose hubcaps...it's the nature of the beast. i've broken 8 clips and lost 1 hubcap...but my wheels come off a lot for racing.

3. head to your hardware store and pick up 20 10-24 allen head screws (3/4 inch will be fine) and 20 nylon locking nuts. this is a $20 trip.

4. scour ebay for 16" trim rings. mine were from a GMC truck (designed for it rather). i typed in "16 trim ring" and bought the stainless steel set. they were like $50 shipped. you'll have to bend the tabs out a bit to make them seat.

you may be able to find the hubcaps on ebay like i did...but they are few and far between. feel free to pm eeyore or i...we've both done it, and he helped me do mine, and mine look killer. :)

·
strange things are afoot
1,535 Posts
I reccomend the GERMAN hubcap clips because the brazillian ones break too easily (Ask Justin)

I personally used (per wheel)
4 clips held on by
4 6-32x1/2" stainless steel allen head bolts
4 6/32 nylon lock nuts

the 6-32 bolt size gives you a little wiggle room with the holes in the clips in case you dont drill the holes perfectly where you want them.

you WILL break more than one drill bit. so have a couple spares.

using 4 clips per wheel, you will only need 4-5 pkgs of clips to have plenty of spares.

I have only lost 2 caps in the 2.5 years I have ran my retro steelies. no need to buy 8 all at once. go with 5-6

I got my plastic beauty rings from www.hubcapannie.com they are local to me and the rings were $10 each. no need to bend tabs, they hold great.

I also de-mod my wheels in the winter dues to road salt ao I run plastic VW caps from October-March

oh ya, the link at the bottom of my signature has all the info about retro-steelies as well.

·
Wheeeeeeeee!
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the info. Still hoping to get some kind of mini get together going so someone can help ;)

But I've ordered parts, so we'll see what happens when they arrive.

Eeyore, I've already printed out your How-To :) These org How-To's are invaluable, I've kept my Tail and Corner printouts from the old boards and put them in a "Mod Binder" hehe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts