NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have 1 flip-key and 1 valet key for my 2002 Beetle, and when I bought the car the flip key is pretty beat to hell, so I ordered a shell from eBay, with an uncut blade. I found a local shop that's able to cut it for cheap, but to avoid having to reprogram, I can just move the internal circuit board over to the new shell, right?

Thanks!

·
Registered
867 Posts
The remote is a separate part, it just pulls off the flip key.

If you want to transfer the rfid, pry off the vw logo. Take out the screw under it. Then carefully pull the key shell apart, don't drop the rfid it is not attached to anything in there. Then do the same thing with the new shell and swap the rfid's.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The remote is a separate part, it just pulls off the flip key.

If you want to transfer the rfid, pry off the vw logo. Take out the screw under it. Then carefully pull the key shell apart, don't drop the rfid it is not attached to anything in there. Then do the same thing with the new shell and swap the rfid's.
Oh that's good info, thanks. Is there any way to transfer the key that's cut to the new body? I'm assuming not since the key seems to be attached to the fob, correct?

·
Registered
867 Posts
The key comes off bu pushing out the drift pin. With it flipped halfway open you can see the pin. Push out the pin with the right sized punch and the key will come right off, then you can put it on the new flip.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The key comes off bu pushing out the drift pin. With it flipped halfway open you can see the pin. Push out the pin with the right sized punch and the key will come right off, then you can put it on the new flip.
I'll give it a shot, hopefully I don't bust it off, hehe. :)

I got a replacement body, and the body comes with a key built into it, and so I may just get it cut rather than than trying to transfer this one. Since I'm just moving over the RFID so I don't have to reprogram seems like it'd make sense this way.

·
USS ANNIEPRISE NCC 1701 A
4,142 Posts
If you are talking about programming a new remote, all i know is you need 2 sets of keys. I went to a regular Key shop here in Louisville, took both keys, the guy went out and programed the new key. It took him maybe 2 minutes, I don't think he charged anything for programming it. I wish I could remember, but it's been 3 years. I have an idea though, you could prolly go on YoutTube and see if someone put it on there. good luck!

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Lot more key/remote information here

Keys, Remotes, and Programming
sidewinderkey.com

Of couse, the "key" portion can be swapped, no need to pay to have the new one cut. Instructions in above thread. Don't be skeered!

If you do decide to get the new key cut, find an automotive locksmith, even if you don't have the key code, they can cut the keys. Been there, done that. But at that point you might as well have not swapped fobs and chips, and just had the whole new unit cut and programmed it (the programming is easy), and then you would have a spare.

M.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Clarification

For the newer folks that don't know what the RFID is, it is the small glass capsule that looks like it has a wire winding in it. This is what actually is programmed to your vehicle's computer. VERY IMPORTANT you do not break it AND that you swap it if completely replacing your key/remote fob combo. Please reply here if you have any questions or are even slightly unsure of how to do this, as Dealer reprogramming is unnecessary and expensive if you don't need it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts