NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have installed 5 to 7 of them over the years, really easy to install. Sorry, I don't know the name of the connectors, but I added about 6" of wire to the horn with a female connection on one end and male on the other. Then just remove the stock horn and put in the new one. No cutting.

If you park the car where the front stick out off a high curb, you can install it real easy without even jacking the car up. The horn is in front of the left front wheel.

·
T.O.D.7 Will U be there?
869 Posts
I bought an original Beetle horn on Ebay but my local mechanic doesn't work on the NewBeetles. I paid $15 for it so I'm only asked to be reimbursed plus $5 shipping. If interested send me a message in my inbox on the details. I have a paypal account and can be paid that way.

Thanks!:)
Yes,it REALLY is simple to install. Heck! I will do it for you at T.O.D. 6 if you were planning on attending.
:D

Sandi

·
Daisy's Mae's Mom
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well my husband and I are both technically challenged when it comes to cars. He knows the average stuff for a guy but he hasn't volunteered to figure this one out. I looked at the auction where I bought it on Ebay and they didn't say anything about a label. It is titled '1967-1979 Type 1 VW Beetle 12 volt horn'. It was $16.51 w/ free shipping.

·
Registered
42 Posts
It really isn't that hard and I am not mechanical at all. I don't do any of my own work on my bugs.

All you need is a socket with a 6" extension and about 10 minutes. You don't need to remove anything other than the existing horn. You can see the horn by laying down and crawling under the front bumper by the left wheel. It really helps if you can park hanging off a curb but I have done them in a parking lot on a flat surface too.

Attached is my wire kit I made to make the install easier and require no cutting. Everything just plugs into the existing harness and then if you want to remove it, no need to patch the wires back together.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just bought a foot of heavy 12 gauge wire at Home Depot, I still have some left.

Then you can take the horn and get the connectors that fit the horn, one female and one male for each wire.

I have a roll of wire, but I don't have the connectors, if you want I can put a set together and mail them to you for $5. I will have to go buy the connectors and mail it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts