VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1999 Beetle 2.0 AEG. Car died suddenly while driving, no restart.
Will crank, but will not start. I have determined there is fuel, but no spark. Fuel is present by confirmation of pump running and pressure tested inline with 45psi while cranking. Injectors are firing with confirmation of noid light and damp plugs. No spark from the coil. There is proper voltage to the coil, but I don't have an LED tester for pulse checks. Camshaft sensor has voltage and is outputting 0-10v turning by hand. Crankshaft sensor is 6 mos old, has proper resistance and is outputting 2v ac while cranking. Tach moves slightly while cranking, also VCDS shows rpm of about 500 while cranking. I am thinking the ECU has gone out by results of these findings. Wiring is good from ECU to coil and I have checked fuses, relays, and cleaned all ground points. I have VCDS but admit not being proficient with it yet. If someone can tell me the specific way to test the ECU with it, that would be great. Dollar wise, I need basically a 1 shot 1 kill repair if possible. Anything I am missing? Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I am fighting a similar issue, read my posts to see what I have tried. AArodriguez has the full on vag-com VCDS that they rent for $5 a day through the mail, 3 day minimum. I have nothing else to check and replace so i'll rent the tool. Seems to be the way to go unless you plan to keep your VW, which I am not so sure I even want this car. Otherwise, buy a $10 dollar usb cable online and download VCDS-lite for free. Ross-tech offers a upgrade for $99 that lets you set parameters and do throttle body adapts with the lite program.

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
The coil is actually two parts; the coil itself and the control module. Check the coil to see if it has a crack down the center (pic 14).

Off the top of my head, if the ECU was bad I think that VCDS would have issues communicating with it. If it will crank but not start the CEL should be on and there should be codes; and VCDS can pull codes without the engine running.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys, thanks for your thoughts. Valid options all. I did not check the timing belt yet, I put this one on about a year ago and the car has been driven not even 2500 mi. since then, but I will have a look at it. The coil is the same age and mileage and I checked it per the Haynes manual and it tested fine. I will dbl check again though. I have scanned the car with VCDS and get some intermittent codes from ABS and rear latch. I have read about the issues with the rear hatch and Immo, but this car does not have one. I did not get to it today, as luck would have it, my truck would not start this morning as well. LOL I will post the results of these new item checks as I can. Again, thank you all for your help!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi all, finally got back to solving this problem. Turned out to be the coil/control module was bad. Less than a year old. Just wanted to post the solution in the event someone else may have similar troubles. Thanks again for all of your help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts