NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this may be a dumb question but since i'm having a problem with it i must ask.
i've read this post : http://newbeetle.org/forums/technical-modifications/17230-outside-air-temperature-sensor.html and now know where the sensor goes. yet, i found it just hanging. thru the part catalog i found out what it was and notices the " ---- " on the outside temperature gauge.

the sensor is there but my problem is disconnect it so that i can verify it and replace if needed. i've tried pinching the metal clips on the side and opening the clips. i'm being careful not to break anything. and this is the first new beetle i've had.

so my dumb question is how do i disconnect it.:confused:

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Actually the ones I have messed with (not VW), the plug was right on the sensor. Can you shoot a pic?

M.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
as per your request. to get a clear idea of the sensor and its base; i took pictures from different angles.
the metal clip is whats real confusing to me, do i remove it, do you depress them.....well i hope these pictures help..........

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
It appears from your pictures the wire clip holds the sensor It appears you squeeze the wires towards the connector which will cause the "bar" part to move away from the bottom of the and allow removal of the sensor. It may take a pair of pliers to give enough pressure on the clips to release the sensor. It may be nessesary to wiggle the sensor to get it loose as it most likely has either an o-ring for sealing it or would have some corrosion on the pins due to its placement in the vehicle.

Great pics by the way. allows a close look at the assembly.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Very unique clip. Great pics, but without having it in my hand...

That said, I'm going to have to concur with VDubYah. It kind of looks as if it might slide into place though. Perhaps the "tabs" allow you to "pull" the sides outward and release the clip so it slides forward. Maybe someone will come along who has done this. Maybe D2Beetle who's always tearing things apart.

M.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for your input, it was true i needed pliers to squeeze the pins together, its to hard to be done with fingers. once i pinched the clip with pliers the sensor pulled out with no problem. to reinsert the sensor in just snaps in...the sensor had an infinite reading on the multimeter so i guess i'll need to replace it.......pictures attached..........and thanks again

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
New it had to come apart. Don't know enogh about how the sensor works to know if a continuity test works? Couldn't be terribly expensive, if you need a part number or a list of online resources drop me a p/m.

M.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts