NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Wee more cowbell
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone post pics as to where (I know it's drivers side bumper) the outside temperature sensor is located, and how it's installed.

Cars produced after 99 got that cool temp readout, and I'm adding it to my 98. have all the parts, just want to make it look as oem as possible.

·
Faster Than Katrina
2,005 Posts
Don't have any pics ... but if I remember correctly when replacing my grill ... there is a protrusion that goes backwards toward the power steering cooler (triangular shaped pipes) on the drivers side .... this is were the temp sensor clips on. Mine was hung up in the p/s cooler when I bought it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
outside air temp acting weird

I noticed that the outside air temperature readout in the car is about 25-30 degrees above normal for the past few days. It starts out right when the car is just starting out:rolleyes: in the morning, but is way above the real temperature after a few miles....any ideas ??

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
I had a similar issue with my '99. I found the sensor had pulled out and was just hanging behind the gril. snapped it back in and all was right again.

-jeffrey

·
Registered
10 Posts
Outside temp sensor

Part # is 1J0 919 379 A BROWN PLUG connects to this and the plug comes off the driver side fog light harness "Y"! So if you see a brown plug just hanging there, Now you know what it is for!
Be advised: This sensor has no real purpose. It is an accessory for the overhead gauge only. It can be mounted just about anywhere within reach of the wire. A much better use for this little guy is to add some extra wire to the harness and strap it closer to the engine. Then you will have a digital readout for engine temp instead of relying on the blue/red light. Beetles have such bad problems with overheating, due to uneducated owners. ONLY use G12 (orange)fluid! NEVER, add ANY water, EVER! I have found it okay to use only water "first", just to check for leaks. Who wants to spend $12 a gallon just to watch it hit the ground because you forgot to attach a hose in the back. You must drain all the water out prior to adding the G12. The other mistake owners make is not bleeding all the air out when changing the fluid! This is a MUST! I know, Im off subject here. Sorry........ Hopefully someone can use this info.

·
Registered
307 Posts
OK silly question, on the TDI's did they move it? i swear there is no sensor like that anywhere near my front grill. There is one like that in the front passengers side right in front of the window kinda where the hood is mounted. If anyone know's this for sure please let me know if that is it or not.

·
Registered
867 Posts
On mine there is a temp sensor on the right side right in front of the windshield under the outside plastic cover for the wiper mechanism. I don't know if it is for the temp display.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts