NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this is what happened. car was fine till the other day when the coolant light started flashing and coolant was leaking. I changed the coolant flange on the drivers side and filled it with coolant. Started it and no leaks so I took it for a ride. Car started to over heat. Engine gets hot but no heat out of heater vents. Cooling fan dows not come on and lower radiator hose is cool. I felt hoses to heater core. The one off the coolant flange is hot but other is not very warm. Could there be air in the system? Water pump or thermostat maybe? It was fine till the coolant leak the other day.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
Did you fill it with the right coolant?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I filled it with extended life coolant mixture. Not sure what was in it originally but wasnt factory.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Non spec coolant could, and most probably will, cause significant system problems, however, the lower radiator hose being cool indicates coolant is not flowing through the system; probable cause would be the thermostat not opening. Initial overheating could have been the cause OR result of this failure. Cool heater hose indicates coolant is likewise not flowing through this system. FYI- DO NOT delete the thermostat, this worked on old skool systems, but today's systems and engines are designed to run at the temperature setting of the proper thermostat.

MORAV

·
Registered
708 Posts
Anytime you remove coolant from the system, you have to purge the air out. It will boil over before the system gets up to temp to open the thermostat. It took me four times before I got all the air out of my system. Just be patient, it gets frustrating when it blows coolant out the expansion tank.

Open the expansion tank and fill to the line. Turn on the heat to high, and the fan on high. Start the engine and watch the tank for the coolant to rise. Shut off the engine when it starts to rise and it will purge out a little. Let it settle and top off the coolant, again. Keep doing this until it stops purging.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I figured I would start by pulling the Thermostat. After Draining the system I removed the coolant outlet and removed the thermostat. I felt inside the water passage and found the back side of the water pump. Seeing as i could move the impeller with my finger I would say it is a failed water pump. Anyone know of a post on here showing steps to replace it? Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
There is a thread on the vortex that shows how to change the timing belt and water pump. I don't know the thread name but maybe someone here knows the link. Get a metal impeller water pump to keep the problem from reoccuring.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts