NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My seats in my 2007 NB convertible have gotten very hot since I got it in 2015. (Last night while set on “2”. My passenger complained about the heat but she was not in the car for long. (No, I did not turn off the warmer after dropped her off- mistake )then on my way home I started smelling something burning. The leather seat has scorch marks. I pulled the fuse out because I am afraid of a fire. Any one else have this issue? Do I need to replace the whole seat??

·
Registered
935 Posts
Have you replaced the heater switch or swapped out cloth seats for leather? I did that, swapping out cloth for leather and suddenly I can’t turn my seat heater past 1 or it gets way to hot whereas with the cloth seat I often put it on 5 with no problem. I’ve always thought there was a difference in the heater switches.

·
Registered
14,080 Posts
There is a thermostat inside the seats; that regulates the heating on/off cycle, it maybe defective, causing the heat to keep staying on, getting way too hot!

I repaired a heater element that had a short; causing it to not work and replaced the thermostat at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2001 Beetle TDI 5 spd
30 Posts
I repaired a heater element that had a short; causing it to not work and replaced the thermostat at the same time.
Do you have a writeup or photos? My driver's side isn't working (not sure the passenger does either). Fuse is good and I already tried just swapping the controllers and that didn't work.

·
Registered
14,080 Posts
I had to disassemble the seat and remove the seat cover and then use a multimeter to find the break in the hearing element circuit. Not unlike the door harness; everytime you sit in the seat it puts stress on the heating element wire and eventually it breaks, killing the heat. Finding the break in the wire, was a challenge; i had to keep pressing, wiggling the wire until i found the break and it was intermittently losing contact. I spliced the broken wire; then butt connector and heat shrink tubing.

I used this diy as a guide; for a vw Passat but the repair principles/design are the same:

Note: after the heater element wire repair and thermostat replacement; i used home hvac foil tape to cover the repairs. Hopefully, to keep the disturbed areas in place, an attempt protect it from abrasion/movement and not affect the seat upholstery. .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts