VW Beetle Forum banner

OverHeadCam's Mom's Handmade (shift) Boots

15K views 43 replies 29 participants last post by  Sugeray 
#1 ·
I figured I'd specify so you didn't think my Mom made my clothes or something.

I moved this thread over from the old forums since there seems to be a renewed interest in them.

My shift boot was looking pretty gross and worn, so I decided it was time to replace it. The leather ones I'd seen online looked ok, but I wanted something that fit like OEM but was still a little custom.

Then I remembered my Mom has been on a purse-making kick as of late (her forte is dolls actually; she's been on Home Shopping Network) and she has tons of leather and an awesome sewing machine. So I comissioned her to make me a new boot.

I carefully ripped off my old boot and she used it for a pattern. Now I've got this. I think it turned out pretty awesome. I only had to do some slight dremeling and zip-tieing to get it to fit the stock knob. Let me know what you think. Also, if you want one like it, she said she would sell them to fellow 'org'ers.

Shipping = $3.75

$15 for black
$10 for your own material

so...

$18.75 shipped for black with any color stitching
$13.75 shipped for your provided material with any color stitching.

Just email her at debbierichmond@verizon.net and let her know what equivelant VW color you want for stitching and we'll match it up as best as we can. She also accepts PayPal.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Here are the installation instructions. I should have taken some pictures of it when I had it apart.

If you (carefully) pull up the ring around the edge of the stock boot, you can see the underside of the shift knob. There's a metal ring that's holding it on. You can either cut it or bend it. I bent it.

Then, move your face out of the way (so you don't punch yourself in the face) and pull the knob straight up.

Once you have it off, you'll see a think black ring on the underside of the stock knob. It has little teeth that are grabbing the boot. If you carefully cut that black ring on one side, you can then pull it off without breaking it in half.

Then, stick the new boot on the same way the other one was on, replace the "C" shaped piece you cut, and pinch it on there. Then tie it on with a zip-tie. I replaced my old metal clamp with a zip-tie too. Much easier than re-bending the ring.

I'm attaching some drawings, those will make more sense.

Attachments

#7 ·
Echo these statement gang. I just installed mine which was perfect. Nice leather, very clean stitching, perfect size and shape for installation.

High quality item folks, you will not be disapointed with the final product..

TechnoTrix'd...:wave3:

#19 ·
i just got mine and the quality is fantastic! now i just have to figure out how to install the thing! :rolleyes: i am thinking it looks harder than i thought! when i do it, i'll take pics and write up how-to.

#20 ·
Very happy with my leather shifter boot

I got my new shifter boot from overheadcam's mom a couple of days ago. I installed it this morning and am very pleased with the quality and looks.

Two notes on installing:

1.) The boot has a front side and back. If you install it with the short side forward, it will pop out when shifting to second (don't ask me how I know :stupid:).

2.) Be careful with the black covering and plastic frame under the boot. If you pull it out, or the frame drops below, it can be a little tricky getting it all back together.

The black frame clicks into place when you pull it straight up. Be sure it is not cocked or crooked. The boot attaches to the frame with tabs molder around the bottom parameter. Take your time and gently seat it at a corner and work your way around the edge.

It can be a bit of a pain, but well worth the effort.

Two thumbs up to overheadcam's mom for her custom boot service.:thup: :thup:

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.