VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
picked this beetle up from an auction a couple weeks ago. haven't driven it much at all. when i first got it the water pump was shot so I replaced it along w the timing belt etc first. before changing anything tho, i should state that red coolant light was flashing red, epc light was on, check engine light was on. so after the water pump job, those lights still flash, etc. so i changed coolant tank which contained a level sensor for the "flashing red light meaning low coolant" that didn't change. So i decided to change the coolant temp sensor. When i found out where it was located i discovered a number of taped wires coming from the wires that lead to the coolant temp sensor. when i do run the car now the vag com reads engine temp at bat 260 degrees fahrenheit. i wonder if it is reading incorrectly and if these wires have something to do with that. any advice, anyone been in this situation before....looking for any ideas on this, thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
You definitely need to fix that rats nest wiring issues there for sure; please post opinion on that you're getting. Did you replace the temp sensor? Flashing ted light means low coolant; usually if there's a wiring problem the blue light will flash or the blue light will stay on. In my experience anyway; I replaced the terminal ends, the plug and I got the parts from the Volkswagen dealer. The parts people; said they replace them all the time, in the service department. In my case: one of the wires broke off the end of the terminal and based upon how old everything was; I went ahead and replaced everything including the plug. What scanner are you using; are you using the VCDS or a handheld Volkswagen compatible scanner?

When you replace the coolant sensor; what was the part number, was it the one in the coolant flange off the head or one further forwards in the radiator? I believe the sensor in the radiator controls the cooling fans and the sensor in the coolant flange controls temp speedo light.

One thing to remember; I believe VCDS/VW tells you the temperature in Celsius not Fahrenheit, I get that mixed up and forget that all the time! So I have to convert Celsius to Fahrenheit; to know the real temperature that I can understand! Lol! :)
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You definitely need to fix that rats nest wiring issues there for sure; please post opinion on that you're getting. Did you replace the temp sensor? Flashing ted light means low coolant; usually if there's a wiring problem the blue light will flash or the blue light will stay on. In my experience anyway; I replaced the terminal ends, the plug and I got the parts from the Volkswagen dealer. The parts people; said they replace them all the time, in the service department. In my case: one of the wires broke off the end of the terminal and based upon how old everything was; I went ahead and replaced everything including the plug. What scanner are you using; are you using the VCDS or a handheld Volkswagen compatible scanner?

When you replace the coolant sensor; what was the part number, was it the one in the coolant flange off the head or one further forwards in the radiator? I believe the sensor in the radiator controls the cooling fans and the sensor in the coolant flange controls temp speedo light.

One thing to remember; I believe VCDS/VW tells you the temperature in Celsius not Fahrenheit, I get that mixed up and forget that all the time! So I have to convert Celsius to Fahrenheit; to know the real temperature that I can understand! Lol! :)
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

thanks for the reply, the wiring issue was inherited when this car was purchased. It seems to tied into the coolant temp sensor and it runs through the firewall and underneath the dash board somewhere. I haven't fully traced the source of the wires yet bc I've been tied up w work but this car needs to have the issues resolved so I'm tackling it on my week off starting tomorrow.

I did replace the temp sensor which was part 059-919-501-A, and as you stated the flashing red light means low coolant, My coolant was never low. I always had sufficient coolant in the tank. I read that the contacts on that sensor could get dirty or go bad so i replaced that sensor as well, but in that process you have to replace the tank bc the sensor is in the tank part no 1J0-121-407-F, still get the flashing red light. Upon starting the vehicle that light will be blue for a couple seconds and then turn red and start flashing and the car will chime as well.

I got all my parts from the local vw dealer who looked it all up using my VIN number. I also changed the thermostat when we did the water pump/timing belt, just to cover all my tracks. I bought a scanner from ebay
Vgate Maxiscan VS890 Universal OBD2 Can Bus Code Read Scan Tool 13 Languages | eBay

The temp sensor was the one in the coolant flange bc the flange was leaking as well flange was part no 06A-121-132-C. Also I've noticed some ppl have a second sensor connected on the same "pipe" but closer to the radiator. I have a "cap" in that location. Its visible in one of the pics that I posted in my first post. Is there supposed to be a second sensor there instead of a cap?

And the machine i have can read in celsius and fahrenheit, so i did set it to fahrenheit, thanks for the reminder though bc it did come shipped set to celsius.

Ill try and trace those wires tomorrow underneath the dash and possibly find their source, but should i have another sensor in that "pipe"?

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
The last 2.0 beetle I worked on; had the plug in the coolant flanges well. I think it is a case of; making a part that works for multiple vehicles and plugged up if not used.

On the Vgate Maxscan VS890; it looks like a good scanner but it doesn't seem to be Volkswagen specific! I don't know if that was your intention but from their website, but seems to be the case.

http://www.vgate.com.cn/en/VS 890-189.html

Getting a scanner that is Volkswagen compatible; will give You vw factory trouble codes; that would really help you troubleshoot issues now and in the future. VCDS by ross tech is the ultimate factory level scan tool for Volkswagens the cheaper scan tools are helpful as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts