VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there!
I recently purchased (In August) a 2004 NB Turbo with approx. 100K miles on it. The prev. owners were my mom's neighbors, who collects and restores older BMWs and is extremely car savvy. This car has been in very good hands the last couple of years and well cared for.

Yesterday when I started my car, the red temp. light flashed at me a few times and when I restarted the car it was fine. The same thing happened to me when I went to go home for lunch from work. Now, the weather has been cold here, highs in the 50's, these past couple of days, so I know the temp. outside isn't contributing to the overheating like it would in the Texas summers.

Any ideas? Could this be an electrical issue or the car truly overheating. When I restart the car it doesn't do it and I can drive and no problems. Yesterday I was running errands between classes and it only did it the first start of the morning.
Thank you so much for the input!
-Emily-

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
level

Don't' worry you're safe to drive it. Flashing means the reservoir level is low so when you get a chance top it off with distilled water or original coolant. If that doesn't fix it replace the reservoir, not too expensive on ebay.

Solid red light means you're burning up :eek:hnoes: and need to stop

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't' worry you're safe to drive it. Flashing means the reservoir level is low so when you get a chance top it off with distilled water or original coolant. If that doesn't fix it replace the reservoir, not too expensive on ebay.

Solid red light means you're burning up :eek:hnoes: and need to stop
Thanks so much! I actually thought of coolant yesterday but forgot to check and it completely slipped my mind today. I also have a co-worker that owns a couple VWs (Jetta and a Passat I believe) and her sister owns a NB and she mentioned the coolant levels. Sure enough when I check it, it was below the line. I think I will get a chance to go to the dealership tomorrow to get some or have them top off.

This forum is wonderful btw. When I had a Mazda, I was constantly on that forum, just to check in on things and getting ideas. I've been reading all the great advice on here for beetles. This is my first VW, and I really love it. Went from a 2000 Mazda Protege, which I got in 2007 and gave me 7 great years. Love my Beetle WAY more:)

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
dealer

Well that's good to hear y'all like VW cars.

If you can avoid it and want to save money don't go to the Dealer just go to walmart and get ya a gallon of that distilled water for .99 cents and fill it yourself just remember to fill it between the markings in the reservoir, don't fill it to the top of the blue cap.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts