VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just bought a 2001 1.8 Turbo with 50,000 original miles. When I got it three weeks ago the car was overheating and I noticed brown slush on the reservoir. Took to my mechanic who flushed it and filled it with g12. Then I ordered online the acugauge to monitor the temp. The car gets to 220-230F even on the highway at 70 mph. The fans are kicking in at several intervals starting around 180F and they stay on for 10 to 15 seconds.
The mpg is also very low (22-23 mpg) and I drive mostly freeway.
Last week checkin the coolant found more brown floating slush (guess the mechanic didn't got rid of all the green coolant when he flushed it). I decided to flush it myself, so ordered the airlift and flushed it last Sunday. The coolant looks clean after 200 miles but the car still getting the same 220-230 and won't come down even at freeway speeds for several miles.
Are this temps normal for this car? Or should I check something else.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,237 Posts
If you had sludge from mixing coolants, it could be gumming up the coolant system. That seems like too hot to me.

This car may need a good tune-up if you are getting 23mpg highway. I get 31mpg cruising at 75 in my 1.8T. Also, has the timing belt service been done? Miles are low, but its got 11 years on the belt and components. If you do the service, throw on a new water pump and thermostat and take a peak at your coolant hoses.

·
Registered
708 Posts
There's probably no impellers left on the plastic water pump. X's 2 on timing belt. Do it all at the same time. And get the WP w/ metal impeller.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
heating up

Yea it seems a little on the high side close to heating up.
Your radiator might be clogged up cause of the sludge & corrosion when they mixed the wrong coolant. If you want to check your water pump impeller without taking too much apart here is what u can do; remove thermostat, you should be able to see or feel the impeller fins with your finger, try to spin impeller fins, if they spin than you found your problem.( the plastic impeller tends to come off the water pump shaft) common problem in these beetles. Besides you might need to replace the thermostat also cause it might be getting stuck closed cause of the sludge/corrosion. hope this helps u out, good luck man.

·
Registered
2 Posts
HOT Turbo

I have a 2002 Turbo that has always run hot as a pistol since I purchased it new!

I just bought a 2001 1.8 Turbo with 50,000 original miles. When I got it three weeks ago the car was overheating and I noticed brown slush on the reservoir. Took to my mechanic who flushed it and filled it with g12. Then I ordered online the acugauge to monitor the temp. The car gets to 220-230F even on the highway at 70 mph. The fans are kicking in at several intervals starting around 180F and they stay on for 10 to 15 seconds.
The mpg is also very low (22-23 mpg) and I drive mostly freeway.
Last week checkin the coolant found more brown floating slush (guess the mechanic didn't got rid of all the green coolant when he flushed it). I decided to flush it myself, so ordered the airlift and flushed it last Sunday. The coolant looks clean after 200 miles but the car still getting the same 220-230 and won't come down even at freeway speeds for several miles.
Are this temps normal for this car? Or should I check something else.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
water pump

I would buy the whole kit and replace the pulley/tensioner also. It's a little more difficult job on the 1.8T so get all your tools ahead of time, it helps. There is a step by step diy around here do a search. good luck

fyi-MJM autohaus has a kit for around $180 including the mount stretch bolts which need to be replaced.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update

Well, change the water pump, thermostat and timing belt. After that the fuse holder on the battery burnt on the bay for the S180 fuse. Replaced with a used one that I got on ebay for $30 and now is running good but about the same temperatures. The fans seem to be kicking on correctly but still running at 220F, it gets to 235F but not the point of boiling or getting the red light on. And still getting very poor MPG. Wondering if the radiator is clogged.
Does anybody knows a product that I can safely use to clean the radiator. I don't want to use any crap that may do more damage than good.

Thank you!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts