VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 Beetle with the 2.0. We have replaced the engine block, cylinder head, radiator, water pump, thermostat, timing belt and to no avail the car still overheats and the fans do not come on. We have changed the sensors on the radiator and the one on the engine. Does anyone have any more ideas on what can be done to fix this car. I am at my wits end and ready to just take a huge loss and sell it to the first person.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
It could be a fuse on the battery box panel. The fuse may be good but not making good contact with the socket. See this:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/2-0-liter-gas/57238-overheating.html

Do you have heat in the car? Do both the upper and lower radiator hoses get hot? Will the fans come on when you switch the A/C on?

The hose running from the cylinder head, through the throttle body and on to the expansion tank needs to be clear or air won't purge from the cooling system and coolant won't flow. See this:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/2-0-lit...ease-solve-my-overheating-engine-problem.html

·
5/23/10 <3
11,453 Posts
Is it actually overheating or maybe are you low on coolant? Have you looked into the fan control module?

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
fans

For troubleshooting purposes can you just jumper the fans directly and turn them on all the time? do that and see if it still overheats, don't use the A/C because that puts more load strain on the engine. The fans are suppose to come on at a certain coolant temperature so that could be your problem.

There are a lot of electrical issues with these cars especially the older model years. Fallow the grounding wire (- negative) from the car battery and make sure it's making a good connection to the chassis, some folks have found corrosion on that cable limiting the current flow path back to the battery (-) good luck man.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Try bleeding the air out of the system by pulling the CTS out a little until coolant leaks out. I had the same exact problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We have replaced the fan control module. There is current going from the fuses on top of the battery and is hot clear up to the sensor in the radiator. Current to the fan control module. There is not heat in the car. The a/c has never worked since we have had the car. Appreciate everyone's input.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Overheating but no heat in the car probably means that there is air trapped in the cooling system that can't get out. With the engine cold remove the cap from the reservoir. Start the engine and look for coolant flowing into the bottle through the tube coming from the back of the engine. If there is no flow then there is a blockage in that line that goes to the throttle body and on to the cylinder head. This line must be clear for the air to be purged from the cooling system.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
So you do have some flow through the tube to the top of the expansion tank? What kind of coolant are you using?

Also, you need to follow the correct procedure when filling the cooling system:

1. Slowly add coolant to the expansion tank until it reaches the full mark (center of the spherical tank).
2. Wait a minute and see if the level drops. Repeat step 1 if necessary.
3. When the level holds screw the cap onto the tank.
4. Start the engine and allow it to idle. If the coolant level in the expansion tank drops to the bottom, shut off the engine and allow it to cool enough to safely remove the cap. Add coolant to the full mark and replace the cap.
5. Repeat step 4 until the coolant level holds.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.