NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This info may be around on this forum or others, but I just wanted to post that I was able to successfully install a Mobile 1 M1-301 oil filter on my 2003 1.8t Convertible. Tight fit, but it worked out.

The engine took a full 5 quarts of oil with the installation of the larger filter.

Looks like this larger filter is about double the oil capacity of the standard filter and likely has about twice as much filter surface area?

This filter is about the size of the oil filters used on the older Ford V8 engines from the late 60's to early 70's.

If you can believe the claims of the Mobile 1 filter box it claims it is a High Efficiency, High Capacity filter that holds and removes 300% more dirt that an economy filter brand.

Not sure what filter brand they compared the filter to, however, even if it is better than premium line filters this should be likely help with removing any smaller particles due to oil coking with the high turbo temps? I believe even the synthetics sometimes have issues with the high turbo temps.

I hear Motul may be the best synthetic for high temps, it is not readily available and can be a bit expensive compared to some other oils.

We will see how it works out when I change the oil at the next interval.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Good find! :bigthumb::bigthumb:

I have been using the Oversized MANN oil filters but it's good to know that there are some around that one can buy locally that fit as well.

Thanks jfoj for sharing!

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
I've been running the larger 1.8T Passat filter since I got my car. Not sure what that equates to on the actual filter part number, but it works like a charm and fits with no issues on my GTI.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I've been running the larger 1.8T Passat filter since I got my car. Not sure what that equates to on the actual filter part number, but it works like a charm and fits with no issues on my GTI.
Actually, then you are probably using the same filter I am:

Volkswagen New Beetle 1.8T > Search > Oil Filter > ES#2342 Oil Filter - Priced Each - W940.25

It is an oversized filter which fits the B5 Passat as well as the GTI and the New Beetle.

Here is the Bosch, Mahle and VW filters that would also work:

Volkswagen New Beetle 1.8T > Search > Oil Filter > ES#261623 Oil Filter - Priced Each - 72174

Volkswagen New Beetle 1.8T > Search > Oil Filter > ES#252034 Oil Filter - Priced Each - 068115561B

Volkswagen New Beetle 1.8T > Search > Oil Filter > ES#262984 Oil Filter - Priced Each - 068115561B

I have been using the MANN Filter and the capacity is just a tad over 5 quarts. Not sure about the others but I assume they would be pretty close to the same.

·
Registered
12 Posts
As far as comparison, Mobil filters and K&N filters are the exact same filter with different paint, added with the wrench-head on the K&N filters. That M1-301 is the same as the K&N HP-3001. Their filters even share the same stamp on the bottom.

Source : Worked in a parts store for a few years, boredom leads to random investigation. ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts