VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question. Can an oxygen sensor that has never been replaced be the cause of a rough idle on a 16 year old new beetle?

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Hey, there are many things that could cause a rough idle; I would scan the care first with VW compatible scan tool, like the Vgate VS450 on amazon.com for $50 or VCDS from Ross Tech. Why do you think; it is the 02 sensor? :confused: Scan the car, post up the codes and we will go from there, we will do our best to help! :)

55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, there are many things that could cause a rough idle; I would scan the care first with VW compatible scan tool, like the Vgate VS450 on amazon.com for $50 or VCDS from Ross Tech. Why do you think; it is the 02 sensor? :confused: Scan the car, post up the codes and we will go from there, we will do our best to help! :)
the car has been scanned many times the last time was a couple of days ago with that exact scanner that i bought off of amazon. there are zero codes. the only reason i bring the oxygen sensor up is because the rough idle has been an on going problem for about two years now. every time the car has been to the mechanic for something else i always tell him to try and find the cause of the rough idle without driving the price of the repair up too much. i was just curious if this could be a possible cause. thanks for your help. :)

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Hey, could you give us more history of the car; (e.g. how many miles are on the engine, history of repairs, maintenance, last tune up, any specifics about when the rough idle comes up;, cold, warm, around town, etc.).

Classic issues:

Has the egr valve been cleaned or checked; they are known, to get carboned up and cause driveability issues!

Throttle body: when was the last time it was cleaned, adapted etc.?

Fuel pressure; is it in spec?

Fuel filter; when was the last time, it was done?

Vacuum leaks: checked? (while the engine is running; buy a cheap can of carb cleaner, spray around hoses etc, see if idle fluctuates, classic sign of vacuum leak).

Got a BEW TDI? Check out this common problem: "doggie collar repair kit"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwyI5S1gLow

Check out TDICLUB.com and myturbodiesel.com for good faq's and troubleshooting info:

TDI FAQ

VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum | VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze diesel forum

·
Re-Member?
137 Posts
Hey, could you give us more history of the car; (e.g. how many miles are on the engine, history of repairs, maintenance, last tune up, any specifics about when the rough idle comes up;, cold, warm, around town, etc.).

Classic issues:

Has the egr valve been cleaned or checked; they are known, to get carboned up and cause driveability issues!

Vacuum leaks: checked? (while the engine is running; buy a cheap can of carb cleaner, spray around hoses etc, see if idle fluctuates, classic sign of vacuum leak).

Check out TDICLUB.com and myturbodiesel.com for good faq's and troubleshooting info:

TDI FAQ

VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum | VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze diesel forum
Whewwwwy.
TDIs don't really require "tune ups" in so far as a fuel filter.

OPs car doesn't have a throttle body.

Fuel pressure comes from the injection pump and isn't easily measurable. There is no intank fuel pump on OP's car.

55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Classic issues:

TDI FAQ

the engine has 150,000 miles on it.the egr and air intake were both decarbonized this past spring and it got a new fuel filter at the same time... i do suspect i have one or two vacuum leaks (the car makes a whooshing sound at full throttle and at low throttle around 25 mph in 3rd the car makes a hissing sound that is easily confused with the sound of rustling leaves. when you put the clutch in and coast that sound will go away but when you rev the engine back up the sound comes back.) As for the rough idle, it happens only at idle, whether the engine is cold or warm, and seems to not happen as much on cool rainy days. the engine runs fine at speed though...

·
Registered
712 Posts
You're welcome. I used that same info to order the stuff to do mine. They are great now. Come back and update this thread and let everyone know how it worked out.

55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You're welcome. I used that same info to order the stuff to do mine. They are great now. Come back and update this thread and let everyone know how it worked out.
This worked out great! I found a kit on fixmyvw.com. My beetle is running smoother than ever. :cool: I'm sure it also helped that I replaced a cracked brake booster vacuum line. :rolleyes: thanks again for the help

·
Registered
712 Posts
I used the the ones in my link. They have been great. I would not hesitate to use the ones you posted at fixmyvw since they are the original German contitech braided hoses. Andrew has a good business and is very helpful. You can always call them and get straight answers. They are BY FAR my favorite place to do business with.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts