NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I have a 03 beetle with the 2.0 and im having some issues. It has a p-304 code. I had replaced the wires due to arching against the head and plugs.
It has set a couple of times and seems to do it around 70-75 mph and tach around 3500 or so. The light will begin to flash and when i slow down it has a dead skip. Whats weird is if i shut the car off and start it back up it runs perfectly fine but obviously the light remains on. I tried to duplicate the issue and so far cannot after 70 miles.(very intermitent) I ohmed the injector on #4 and it has the same values as the others. I removed the coilpack which is one piece, and it looks fine. im thinking there is a short under heavy load thats causing these? Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance
Dan

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hello everyone. I have a 03 beetle with the 2.0 and im having some issues. It has a p-304 code. I had replaced the wires due to arching against the head and plugs.
It has set a couple of times and seems to do it around 70-75 mph and tach around 3500 or so. The light will begin to flash and when i slow down it has a dead skip. Whats weird is if i shut the car off and start it back up it runs perfectly fine but obviously the light remains on. I tried to duplicate the issue and so far cannot after 70 miles.(very intermitent) I ohmed the injector on #4 and it has the same values as the others. I removed the coilpack which is one piece, and it looks fine. im thinking there is a short under heavy load thats causing these? Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance
Dan
sorry for the double post

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Ignition coil

You might want to double check the ignition coil it's known to fail in the 2.0 beetles. Hairline cracks I believe. Good luck and welcome to newbeetle.org

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I just drove 100 miles today and it didnt do it. so what i did was install an inline spark tester so when it does do it i can pull over, pop the hood and see if its still getting a strong spark or any spark at all. As i said before, the weird thing is that when it is skipping and you turn the car off and back on, its like it resets itself and all is good for awhile. ive never seen that before.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE!!
Took the vehicle to work today and it acted up twice. I pulled over and popped the hood while it was skipping and I can see through my tester that it still had spark so I popped off the #4 injector harness and put on my noid light and it has no injector pulse only on that cylinder. I shut the car off and restarted and it had the pulse back. I'm thinking that the ECM is bad and has to be replaced.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
UPDATE!!
Took the vehicle to work today and it acted up twice. I pulled over and popped the hood while it was skipping and I can see through my tester that it still had spark so I popped off the #4 injector harness and put on my noid light and it has no injector pulse only on that cylinder. I shut the car off and restarted and it had the pulse back. I'm thinking that the ECM is bad and has to be replaced.
Very doubtful. It more than likely is your coil. Even if it looks "Good" to you there are internal fractures that you can't see and can cause misfires. I would swap out your coil and reset the ECM and I bet that your issue will be fixed.

Here is a link to ECS tuning with coil choices depending on your engine code:

OEM / Performance Parts for Audi, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Mini, Porsche & Volkswagen - ECS Tuning

1 - 7 of 7 Posts