NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I got one!!
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys....I need some help. On my dash is the PRND2 gear indicator. After about 20 minutes or so of driving, instead of brackets around just the [D], they are all bracketed:

This is a 2005 model, automatic transmission, 50,500 miles. What's going on...or is about to happen?? Thanks.

·
Probably MIA
2,799 Posts
Some sort of fault is occurring and the transmission is going into limp mode. Get it scanned with VCDS (standard OBD scanner wont work right)

Sent from my DROID2

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Bumpin it up! Looking for the resolve!

M.

·
Super smart senior member
857 Posts
You car wants to do all of the above. Maybe it wants to fly :p

After reading the thread a few times I agree that its probably in limp home mode, you need to get it scanned for faults. Post them here and we can better help.

·
Registered
119 Posts
My car did the same thing only it was intermintent. The dealer couldn't find anything,so I just drove it and got stressed when it happend. I was in to replace the battery ,bad cel, and I had them reset the transmission module back to factory settings. I don't know if it was the new battery or the clearing of the fuzzy logic in the transmission, but it hasn't happen again scince last Feb.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Since the mileage is low go to dealer and check with them the warranty. Probably they can repair it under warranty coverage. There might be something wrong with the transmission.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Any resolution on this problem?

I just bought a 2003 New Beetle convertible with the same issue. It comes and goes from my understanding. Picking up the car this week and I hope it is not a transmission problem or I made a bad choice on getting it.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
An Automatic VW transmission is always a bad choice especially the early years between 1998 - 2005. The 01M transmission is the worst transmission VW ever put in a car. Double check the transmission codes. Sometime in 2003 they did put optional 6 speed tiptronic transmissions in some of the Beetle's. Still an automatic but a lot better than the old 01M which most of the 1998-2005 ended up with.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Same Problem

Mine turned out to be a broken circuit board next to the shifter in the enclosure between the seats.

I had purchased the extended warranty from the used car dealership but they wouldn't cover it and I was getting screwed by the bank so I had to let it go.

Cost me a little over $500 at the dealership and the credit union got $44k.

·
Registered
512 Posts
An Automatic VW transmission is always a bad choice especially the early years between 1998 - 2005. The 01M transmission is the worst transmission VW ever put in a car. Double check the transmission codes. Sometime in 2003 they did put optional 6 speed tiptronic transmissions in some of the Beetle's. Still an automatic but a lot better than the old 01M which most of the 1998-2005 ended up with.

Yes it shows that VW doesn't know how to make a good automatic transmission until the year of 2003.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts