NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Want to do a drive.
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wednesday night I got this code way home from work while sitting at a stop sign. only about 2 miles to home, parked read the code again and did a reset. Got on the internet read that it could be the temp sensor. Picked up new on on Thursday morning on the way to work. So far I haven't had the time to do or a cool engine when I do have time. I have a scan gauge in the car so I started watching some of the readings today. The temp is all over the place. Water temp is 40 one minute and 189 the next them down to 140 and back to 190. Also I've noticed that the Air intake temp is higher than normal. Normally it's between 90 and 110, I saw it as high at 125-130 tonight. The car is running fine and after the resetting the code it has not come back, but if it wasn't for the scan gauge I wouldn't have noticed anything out of place.

I'm planning on installing the new green sensor (mine is black) in the morning when it's cold. Does it sound like there is something else wrong?

·
Registered
11,545 Posts
Well, the black top temp sensor is a well known fail point on these cars; replace that and then clear codes, see how things are after that... you have removed a known variable. When mine has failed; I have noticed these issues:

1. hard start
2. rough idle
3. stumble, hesitation
4. rich condition (black on tail pipe), poor gas mileage

1 through 3; seemed to clear up; once to operating temps.

Do the repair and then let us know how things are.

Here is a overview of the swap: VWVortex.com - DIY: Replacing your temperature sender with the updated one (green-top))

·
Want to do a drive.
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. hard start No starts right up
2. rough idle Maybe a tad off, slightly rough
3. stumble, hesitation None what so ever.
4. rich condition (black on tail pipe), poor gas mileage Did notice some black on the pipes.

·
Want to do a drive.
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I got it swapped out. I see now why you need to get a another clip. You are gonna loose one of them. Got the old one out with no problems. put the new one in.
Noticed that the clip was cocked up and not in one of the grooves. Removed it and it went plink down past the engine. couldn't find it, luck I had another.

Something that I didn't see anywhere is make sure the old O Ring is removed. Mine stayed in the hole.

Now to go for a test drive and see if it works.

·
Want to do a drive.
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Drove around for about 30 mins, seems to have a steady temp now of 184-188. up to 194 at a stop sign. Seems to run slightly cooler with the new sensor (5-10 deg.).

·
Wanna Walnetto young lady
178 Posts
I had a problem with mine a few months ago. I too had the old black top sensor, and when it went I got an oil pressure light blinking and beeping, but only at stops. Freaked me out. The cold light (blue) never went out either. Once the sensor was changed everything went back to normal. Those clips can be tricky. I tied a piece of braided fishing line on mine just in case I dropped it. Once the clip is in, cut the line.:D

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
I had a problem with mine a few months ago. I too had the old black top sensor, and when it went I got an oil pressure light blinking and beeping, but only at stops. Freaked me out. The cold light (blue) never went out either. Once the sensor was changed everything went back to normal. Those clips can be tricky. I tied a piece of braided fishing line on mine just in case I dropped it. Once the clip is in, cut the line.:D
What a great idea! I lost 3 the last time I changed mine! I'll keep this little trick in mind next time. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts