VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all! I was wondering if i could ask for some help. I had purchased the beetle above a few weeks ago with a view of getting it back on the road. The previous owner had cut out the cat and bodged what was an exhaust onto it and I've now replaced both the catalytic converter piece and the mid section with the proper parts (hopefully detailed in the pics).

Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Motor vehicle Fender Tread

So firstly - the cat that ive got seems to have 2 ports for O2 sensors (so should i move the sensor above to the rearmost port as its meant to be the post cat o2 sensor?) and then i need to blank or bung the other port as shown below.

Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

Motor vehicle Gas Electrical wiring Cable Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper

Secondly, its running really rough and throwing up code P0135 (as below)
Brown Font Screenshot Software Multimedia

On looking through the forums, it indicates that the issue resides with the Pre-Cat O2 sensor closest to the engine. Am i right in saying that its the one thats in the area circled in red below that has the black connector plug as opposed to the red plug?
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Automotive exhaust

Sorry for the terrible photos folks, all taken while the car was on axle stands and wriggling underneath :)

I really appreciate any help that you lovely people can provide!

·
Registered
18,565 Posts
P0135 Volkswagen Code - HO2S11 Sensor Heater Circuit

So, this code would be for the bank 1 sensor 1; which, as you noted, is for the 02 sensor before the cat and closest to the engine.

We don't have the 1.6L here in the USA; so, I don't know, where the 02 sensor, is supposed to screw into a bung but if it is missing, you could drill a hole, have a new bung welded in place.

You might look online and search for pictures, of a whole cat and downpipe, that may show, where the bung is correctly placed with a oem part.

·
Registered
18,565 Posts

·
Registered
18,565 Posts
Electrical wiring Gas Cable Fixture Auto part

As to the 02 sensor trouble code; is the sensor, still attached? You might check the fuses; there might be a inline fuse, shown in the photo above with the red circle.

For the heater circuit on the 02 sensor; you can do a continuity test and see, if the circuit is broken. If it is, then replacement is typically needed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts