VW Beetle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
For live data, screen captures; are less useful, the info, needed would be the highest they are at. + or - 10% is considered; in the "normal" range. When, things go way out of spec; then, you get the lean trouble code.

·
Registered
2006 Cabrio, Platinum Gray, 2.5L BPS, Automatic
34 Posts
Solved: What about going to accelerate and it's not in gear. Like it got knocked into neutral. Let off the pedal and it goes in? This car only has 55k. Is it as simple as low on fluid?

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Here is how it is done with vcds:

I'm not familiar or use obdeleven, you might check their forums:

This video shows live data channels but oddly, they do not describe what they are?

Maybe other obdeleven users can chime in and help?

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Sometimes, that can indicate a bad pcv diaphragm; causing a large unmetered vacuum leak (you might double the diaphragm for damage; make sure you reinstalled it correctly) or as noted in the fuel trim ross tech video, it might be normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Here is a video going over fuel trims and how to find vacuum leaks, 2.0T engine but the principles are the same. Note: he shows how the oil cap is particularly hard to remove with a bad pcv diaphragm.

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
We have been discussing things for awhile; have you done any testing and what were the results?

A fuel pressure test; would be a good test to do, that would rule out the fuel pump.

·
Registered
34 Posts
So I just went out and looked at that diaphram again real close and it is in perfect condition. I did just purchase a Bentley Workshop book and will be using that to help troubleshoot. The only code I am getting at the moment is P0170. I have not had the chance yet to look at the trims. Is this an upgrade part of OBDeleven?

·
Registered
15,206 Posts

Before, you mentioned getting a p0171 code; has it changed to p0170?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I do appreciate your assistance Billy. Any information is helpful. This vehicle is young in mileage but did sit for more than a year with barely any use. When I first bought it it ran great but has recently picked up these issues. They are probably simple solutions, it's just a matter of finding them. When cold/warming up it runs fine however once warmed up it struggles a little at idle/stop lights and will occasionally stall at the light. When on the move/highway it seems to run fine. I do notice a very gassy smelling exhaust which tells me it it running rich because of the current issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Live data (fuel trim, maf readings, etc) and traditional testing of things like fuel pressure; should help and narrow things down, through a process of elimination. Until you can view the test results; we are just guessing, as to the cause of the drivability issue and the recurring lean trouble codes.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Is there a source that details what the different channels are? Does OBD11 define 'Groups' as 'Channels'? I have the pro version of OBD11. When I go to Channel 32: Value 1-4 say Not available and the description says Lambda (idle) self-adaptation Specification: -5 Min/Max +5, Lambda (partial) self-adaptation Specification: -10Min/Max +10.

Attachments

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
I would pose these questions; in the support forums for obdeleven, i linked to above. This is one of the short comings of the OBDEleven app; maybe they will improve things over time. This seems to be part of downside, of using a relatively, new product developed and supported in eastern Europe.

When, you get info about this in OBDEleven; let us know, so this can help others in the future.

If you can't figure it out; any generic obd II scan tool with live data capability, should be able to read and display LT/ST fuel trims.

I use multiple scan tools; VCDS, then a cheap ELM 327 wireless dongle and apps, like Dash Command and OBD fusion. Wifi version for iOS/Apple and Bluetooth, for Android.

Most auto parts stores; will rent you a scan tool for free.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Here is some information.. This video is at an intersection at idle...
This video is on the highway..
Then in stop and go driving I got the 25.0 reading (see picture). Then transmission started shifting rough. I found that if I remove the oil cap the engine revs up then down to a very rough idle. FYI, the MAF that I had installed had been removed and the oem was reinstalled. Just in case I still have a bad MAF I ordered a Bosch one this time.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 81 Posts