NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 2001 AVH keeps raising the P0171, system too lean, code. A few months ago, I cleaned the MAF. I only drove about 150 m miles until I took it on a 1800 miles trip. On this trip, the CEL came on three times, with the P0171 code. The first two times, I cleared it at the end of the day. The last time, I cleared it right away, and it didn't come back (until now).
All three times, the CEL came on within the first 2 minutes after a 30 minute break after driving 300 miles or so. I'm sure the CEL wouldn't have come on, if I hadn't stopped for the break.
The engine runs fine, gas millage is good.
I visually checked for cracked or loose hoses - found nothing.
The only thing I noticed, is a bit of an oily dirt at the outside of the throttle body and where the crank case ventilation hose joins the intake tube. The is also some slight oily film on that little hose than runs below the intake manifold. Is that normal?

Any ideas what could cause the P0171? Does anybody know, when that code is raised, is a single lean measurement of the O2 sensor enough, or does it wait for a certain number?

Thanks!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm not sure about the parameters to set the code but you should check for a vacuum leak or maybe an exhaust leak before the o2 sensors. You should also use a dmm to see if your o2 sensors are working properly, maybe try cleaning the other o2 sensors too.
Hopefully an expert comes along who can help you out more, good luck and let me know how it goes :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts