NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
I wish I had a shop
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a CEL come on this morning and went by Advance and got the code. p0172 System too rich (Bank 1).

I've gone around the forums here and VWvortex and everyone says that it could be either the MAF or the O2 sensor. Is there a way to tell which one it is? The car runs and idles fine, so I was suprised when the light came on.

I read on the forums here that it might be the vacuum tubing running from the fuel pressure regulator, and indeed my looked like it had better days as the cloth was rubbed off the tubing in a couple places. That was a 68 cent try, but the CEL is still on. Before I through out money by replacing various parts is there a way I can test them? Can I test the voltage across the sensors to see if they work?

Finally I understand that there are 2 O2 sensors. I can see one if I look between teh engine and the firewall, but where is the other, and which one is the front one and which is the rear? (The stealership quoted two different prices for the 2 different sensors) Is the front one more likely to be the bad one (it was 30 dollars as compared to 100 dollars)

Thanks in advance.

·
What's in a title?
36 Posts
I hate the CEL on the bug. So finicky. I have read a report that says that the CEL can be tripped by something as simple as an improper gas cap seal preventing a fuel system vacuum from being established, and indeed, sometimes when I get a CEL making sure I twis the gas cap 6 - 8 times will make the CEL go out in short order.

Good luck with this :mad:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts