VW Beetle Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
@billymade , thanks for the testing procedure. Do you know what #1 O2 sensor values it refers to that I test for, after the physical inspection?

This evening I found the spare ECU I had, and put the battery on charge. I'll dig in deeper tomorrow. I think I'll do that coil block ground patch as it looks easy and straightforward, and since I'm disconnecting the battery anyway to "reset" the ECU, I may as well take it out, and the battery tray, and wire that ground post to the coil block ground line.

So the ECU I have is a 06A906032KB, which is for a 2.0L Beetle, but a convertible with manual tranny. The unit in my car is a 06A906018JE, specifically for California emissions, so unless they were all like that I may have a California car.

Gas Rectangle Font Metal Electronics accessory

So, given the spare ECU is for a manual, I don't think the car would be driveable with it, but it should be close enough to see if the misfire persists. If it goes away, then that points to a bad original ECU. If it persists, then I can eliminate the ECU as the culprit. Funny to think the PO of the '03 1.8T Auto trans Beetle I got for my son was using this ECU to fix that car.

So, I'll reset it's own ECU. See if that makes any difference (not optimistic). Then I'll do the ground wire patch for the coil block, test again. Then I'll swap the ECUs just to see what happens.

These ECU's are so rare and expensive I feel I should rush out and find/buy an early 2000's stick-shift 2.0L convertible to match it so that I can have a spare down the road for when it eventually fails :p

· Registered
19,233 Posts
I’m not clear on the 02 sensor testing info you are referring to, i would print out all the related pages to refer to as you do the tests (be sure to hit “next”, to see all the pages.

On the compatibility issues and questions about the spare ecu; i would contact 06A Technik Volkswagen and Audi Tuning, Immobilizer Defeats, ECUs for advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
So Johnathan at 06A Tehcnik says the ECUs I have are not interchangeable. My Beetle has a ME5 and the spare unit I have is a ME7 which is after VW went to drive-by-wire. It needs a completely different harness and the pinouts are completely different. They are not at all compatible and swapping them wouldn't achieve or indicate anything. He didn't have any further recommendation. If I get time this weekend I'll do those next steps and report back.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts