VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
2003 Cyber Green 2.0
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure you can point me in the right direction for an issue that's cropped up on my 2003 VW Beetle 2.0L Gas.

My car just threw a CEL with the code P0352 referring to "Ignition Coil B Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction". DTC P0352 Ignition Coil B Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction There's no misfire code and the vehicle drives OK, except a "clicking" noise when starting the engine cold. What should I be looking to have inspected and/or replace? I believe my 2003 2.0L gas model has spark plug/ignition coil wires rather than the newer coil-on-plug design.

Thanks.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Common problems; on the 2.0L, are the coils cracking or possibly the ground to the coil needing repaired/updated, according to the VW tech bulletin. Other aspects of the ignition system; could be checked as well; e.g. wires, plugs, etc.

Common techniques; to diagnose the coil, are to get a spray bottle of water and spray the coil with water. If when the car is on; this affects, how the car is running (idle changes, misfires occur etc.), then it is a pretty good indicator that the coil is cracked on the back of its case. Removal, inspection and possibly replacement; would be a good idea at that point. If you replace the coil; be sure to get OEM parts and not poor quality aftermarket parts, from your typical auto parts store. Aside, from a genuine VW parts from your dealer; the oem for Volkswagen for the coil, seems to be made by ELDOR. You can get a coil pack made by ELDOR and it will be cheaper than through your local VW dealer but presumably, at the same quality level.

http://www.eldor.it/content/en/ignition-coils

Here is a good thread from vwvortex; going through the water troubleshooting test and coil replacement process:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...eshooting-Coil-pack-on-2-0-AZG-AVH-BEV-or-BBW

Here the tech bulletin; about the ground update: (might be a good idea; to do this, when you replace the coil pack)

Ignition Coil: Electrical - MIL ON/DTC's P1355/P1358/P1361 Or P1364 01 08 27 Oct. 16, 2008 2010575

Volkswagen Workshop Manuals > New Beetle L4-2.0L (AZG) (2003) > Powertrain Management > Ignition System > Ignition Coil > Component Information > Technical Service Bulletins > Customer Interest for Ignition Coil: > 0108-27 > Oct > 08 > Electrical - M

Here is the testing procedures; for the coil:

Volkswagen Workshop Manuals > New Beetle L4-2.0L (AZG) (2003) > Powertrain Management > Ignition System > Ignition Coil > Component Information > Testing and Inspection > With Generic Scan Tool

·
2003 Cyber Green 2.0
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for such a detailed response billymade. I've think you've helped me out more than once a bind on the .org :D The illustrations on the Vortex article really help give me confidence to tackle this repair.

I checked my engine code is AVH and scoped out some parts marked as Original Equipment from RockAuto.com.

Denso 6739101 Ignition Coil
Denso 6714129 Complete Ignition Wire Set
NGK Laser Platinum Spark Plugs x 4

Comes to around $220 USD shipped to Canada. Your thoughts?

I did clear the CEL and gave the car a test drive (at > 3000 rpms) last night, the light hasn't come back. Yes, at 100k miles it probably wouldn't hurt to replace them, but since the light hasn't come back, it isn't too urgent?

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
I would stick with oem brands for parts; from what people have said, the 2.0L seems to run best with the oe type plugs (be sure to identify your engine code).

As for the Nippondenso (ND) plug wires and coil; I think we have had mixed reviews about their quality, on those around here. Personally, I think I might try to go with oe/oem brands; in the hope, of getting the best quality, at a good price (cheaper than from VW). For the coil; I believe ELDOR, makes them for Volkswagen. For the plug wires; I believe they are made for Volkswagen by Bremi but a high quality brand, like Bosch should be oem quality.

I believe these are the oem brands for these parts:

plugs: Bosch or NGK: (depending on engine code)

wires: Bosch? (genuine VW spark plug wires product photos online; show "Bremi" as the oem)

coil: Eldor (VW part #: 06A905097A - IGNITION COIL Beetle; 2.0L)

You can look up VW part numbers here (then search online for best prices or the same part sold under the oem brand; e.g. Bosch, NGK, ELDOR, etc.):

Volkswagen National eStore

Bosch parts finder:

https://www.boschautoparts.com/auto

Spark Plugs AVH engine code: Part Number:FR7HPP33+

Spark Plug Wire Set: Engine Designation: AVH,AZG,BDC Part Number: 09839

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/

Spark Plug: PZFR5D-11

1 - 4 of 4 Posts