NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just recently had the front o2 sensor replaced and I will get more into that as I feel it may have an affect on this. So the Bung for the front o2 sensor blew off the manifold, like completely. The o2 sensor was just left hanging. Well I just recently took the car to the shop and paid $465.13 to have the manifold taken off, taken to a welding shop to have the bung welded back on to the manifold. They noticed 2 cracks in the manifold in which they went ahead and welded for additional costs. They replaced the o2 sensor and the gasket. Car runs nice and quite now and doesn't seem to have any mechanical issues. When they initially told me the price, they said both o2 sensors were bad, I didn't have enough to get the back one fixed so I just got the front one fixed. Well after I drove it for 30 miles or so the engine light came back on. I figured it was for the back o2 sensor. When I took it autozone they said the code was for the cat. I asked, "well could it be the rear o2 sensor?" He said it would have thrown a different code. The only thing that confuses me here, is that my brother recently had the cat replaced. It has a fairly new one on it already. The guy from autozone said it could be the gas I'm using. I mean Really? The gas could be causing the engine light? I'm confused.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Your help is much appreciated.

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
Is it possible that when the front O2 sensor blew off that some debris made its way down the exhaust pipe and into the CAT? The only way to know for sure that it is the CAT is to replace the rear O2 sensor and reset your CEL.

I always replace both O2 sensors at the same time, because that eliminates "False Positives".

1 - 2 of 2 Posts