NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:banana: HEY! That P0420 code has not Reared it's UGLY Head anymore. It's been 2.5-3 months now and still no check engine light and zero codes. I'm glad I did not replace the CAT or O2 sensors as some folks suggested around here. SO, If you get this code you might want to check all your emissions systems first before replacing costly parts and then later find out that wasn't the problem. The only thing I did differently was made sure I was only using High Octane gas and made sure my car was running at the correct coolant temperature,... ie above 205 degree F' These cars are very finicky about their operating temperature.
Hope this helps the Next guy....ta ta folks

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Esse,

Glad you are in the clear for now. Hopefully you have not jinxed yourself!

As I always try with the P0420/P0430 codes is to get the simple and cheap stuff addressed first, then wait and see. Have seen a lot of these codes due to poor fuel management and cool running engines.

Hope you have continued lack of P0420.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
all is well

December 24,2013 and ALLLLLLLLLL Is Well, No P0420 code yet folks. It's been a little over two months now.

·
Registered
712 Posts
My beetle is a tdi, so excuse my silly question. Do the gassers owners manuals require Premium fuel (93 octane)?
My wife drives and Audi A4 Cabriolet and it requires 93, but recommends 95(which I can't get). My teen daughter drives a 07 Passat 3.6 and it requires 93.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Depends on the engine. 2.0's are recommended 87. I've not seen one recommend 95, or even 93. My GTI requires 91, but all we can get is 93.

·
squirreljuice
388 Posts
On forced induction and really high compression vehicles you need the higher octane fuels. That way you don't pre-detonate. Its risky running anything lower than the recommended octane level. I know on the inside of the gas tank lid it says I should run 91-93 octane fuel for my turbo bug.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts