VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

So I have a 2002 New Beetle that decided to act up. It has the following "symptoms":
  • Excessive petrol/gas use
  • Slipping
  • Error code P0420 -
  • Misfires whilst idling

So over the past few months we have replaced the following:
  • coil & plug wires as they were still stock and the coil cracked
  • spark plugs
  • topped up transmission oil as the Gearbox mounting came loose and oil spilled out. (we have drained the oil and replaced it aswell after a month)

This fixed the issues I was having but still was stuck with the P0420 code.

It showed the efficiency was below threshold on bank 1 sensor 2.

I took the car in to have the cat removed and cleared only to be informed that the cat has already been removed and replaced with a silencer/muffler. Due to the fact that the car did not give any other issues before I just replaced the o2 sensor in the car (instead of getting a mini cat as advised) because they welded the o2 sensor onto the damn pipe so it broke off. After all this it is still slipping. So I took it in again and was advised that the Torque converter might be giving in and we started to make plans to overhaul the Gearbox.

So we tested a theory as the car has 1, 2, 3 & Drive. Im driving the car in 3 when Im in the suburbs and switch to D when I get to the highways, and no slipping as occurred thus far as this usually happens when its hot outside and the car itself it hot/ at operating temp after driving for a while. So as I was driving, I got to a steep hill and was hoping I could make it up... And in 3 the car made it no problem.

So after that exercise we decided to just change the Shift solenoids.

So basically my question to you guys is:
* Have you had similar issues and what was your dignosis & Treatment plan?
*What can cause the P0420 error if there is no cat and the car had no issues before?

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
P0420 indicates that the catalytic converter is not operating as it should be and preventing the exhaust emissions that it was intended to. Having no cat will cause P0420. The fix is to install a proper exhaust system with a catalytic converter.

·
Registered
14,350 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts