NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 GL 2.0
CEL on continuously

I am way overdue for my yearly inspection here (Texas) and would like to solve this problem(s) asap. I just had the car scanned and it came up with these two codes. The P0118 code deals with the engine coolant temp high circuit. Does this mean the car is running hot and/or I need to add coolant? The coolant seems to be within the low/high marks on the reservoir. Timing belt, water pump, etc., were all replaced at 80K

As far as the P0420 code...I noticed a few weeks ago that one of the hoses which connects to the secondary air pump seemed broken at the point of connection. It's connected, but it seems like it isn't seated very securely...could this be a cause of the P0420 code? Additionally, sometimes after driving around town for 20-30 minutes...then going grocery shopping, etc., the car is very hard to start...like it's misfiring. This only lasts about 20 seconds, and it never happens when the car is cold or has been driven more than 30 minutes.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
P0118 points to a faulty coolant temp sensor.

P0420 is typically an O2 sensor or catalytic converter failure. But also make sure your intake and exhaust systems don't have any leaks or anything. 16804/P0420/001056 - Ross-Tech Wiki

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
sai hose

Make sure all the connections are firmly made on the secondary air pump it has a little clip that you actually need to listen for to confirm it's on correct. The SAI pump is part of the emissions system and any of the components or sensors could contirbute to that p0420. I would remove and clean the cambi valve and check all the hose connections to the sai pump, clean the throttle valve, replace spark plugs, reset the ECU when you finish and re-calibrate the throttle valve. The coolant issue could be you got blockage somewhere's or your thermostat is staying stuck open for longer than required, especially if somebody mixed the wrong coolant in the system or added regular tap water. good luck to ya.....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts