NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Dubbed Spiderman
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally have the infamous CEL giving me the codes P0422 and P0440. I have had a rattle on takeoff in 1st through 3rd gears and now that I have the CEL, it is obvious what my problem is. In fact, this past weekend when I went to take off into traffic, Gayle bogged down big time, almost seemed like limp mode, and when he finally cleared up, I looked in the rear view and saw a big puff of smoke. :( Now my question is, if I delete my cat, am I going to still have a CEL? Can I get rid off the CEL? I figure since I don't need to have my car checked for emissions, I can save the coin on the cat and get the rest of the exhaust redone with something with a little rumble to it. :p Any suggestions on exhaust too? Thanks for your input. :D

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
I think I have read somewhere that all you need is a bung welded in the area the cat was.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,967 Posts
What year/mileage is your car? There are some extended warranties out there on the cats in some cars.

Also, new cats aren't that expensive if you go aftermarket. Parts and labor for one on my car last year was <$200.

·
Dubbed Spiderman
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I have read somewhere that all you need is a bung welded in the area the cat was.
Actually, you can mount the O2 sensor anywhere, all its looking for is air. :rolleyes: :D

What year/mileage is your car? There are some extended warranties out there on the cats in some cars.

Also, new cats aren't that expensive if you go aftermarket. Parts and labor for one on my car last year was <$200.
Its a 98 with 161K on it. I'll spend that $200 and delete the cat and get all new welded on. :cool:

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
No muffler suggestions? :confused: Please give me some ideas as to what would sound good without a cat. Thanks! :D
Dealers that have them in stock are closing out the VW "Sport" exhaust (it's also on the VW Outlet site) for cheap, well, relatively speaking. Cheaper than a Borla or Corsa, but then Borla and Corsa don't make a catback for the NB :D. Systems that are not specifically designed for the car (cat included) can cause problems, either too much back pressure or not enought. Nothing wrong with an aftermarket as long as it is to VW specs, and not a one size fits all. And besides, you can't pass immissions without a cat and in some States can be heavily fined.

M.

·
Dubbed Spiderman
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I finally have the infamous CEL giving me the codes P0422 and P0440. I have had a rattle on takeoff in 1st through 3rd gears and now that I have the CEL, it is obvious what my problem is. In fact, this past weekend when I went to take off into traffic, Gayle bogged down big time, almost seemed like limp mode, and when he finally cleared up, I looked in the rear view and saw a big puff of smoke. :( Now my question is, if I delete my cat, am I going to still have a CEL? Can I get rid off the CEL? I figure since I don't need to have my car checked for emissions, I can save the coin on the cat and get the rest of the exhaust redone with something with a little rumble to it. :p Any suggestions on exhaust too? Thanks for your input. :D

No center box. Sounds awesome.
Thanks for your input Nighttrain. Any tuning issues or just weld it on and go?

Dealers that have them in stock are closing out the VW "Sport" exhaust (it's also on the VW Outlet site) for cheap, well, relatively speaking. Cheaper than a Borla or Corsa, but then Borla and Corsa don't make a catback for the NB :D. Systems that are not specifically designed for the car (cat included) can cause problems, either too much back pressure or not enought. Nothing wrong with an aftermarket as long as it is to VW specs, and not a one size fits all. And besides, you can't pass immissions without a cat and in some States can be heavily fined.

M.
I will check into the VW Sport pipe. Link? ;) I do realize about the back pressure issue because I saw it when my clamp that connects the cat to the back piping went, I lost fuel mileage big time. See above on emissions comment. :rolleyes: I made this thread to get input from the others that have already done it. :D

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I will check into the VW Sport pipe. Link? ;) I do realize about the back pressure issue because I saw it when my clamp that connects the cat to the back piping went, I lost fuel mileage big time. See above on emissions comment. :rolleyes: I made this thread to get input from the others that have already done it. :D
A week ago it was shown on the www.vwoutlet.com site. A Dealer has them on eBay, deep discount, but not for what the Outlet site shows they should be sold for (I want to say $200ish), marked down from $700+. Need to check it out myself. You have to buy from the Outlet via your Dealer.

M.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts