VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am afraid this is too serious for the home mechanic. by daughter drover her beetle to work today and called to say a bunch of lights on the dash came on. i went to check and the EPC, Check Engine and ASR lights were on. When I pushed the ASR button, now the brake light comes on also. I drove it about 100 yards through the parking lot, it started beeping. I parked it and turned it off, now it wont start..
I checked the codes with a generic checker and found a P0600 code which points to a bad ECM or wiring.
I did not check fuses yet but did disconnect the battery for a couple of minutes, then reconnect with the same issue.

Any ideas so I can get it started to at least drive home or does this look like a tow job?

·
Registered
15,603 Posts
http://engine-codes.com/p0600_volkswagen.html

Any low voltage or charging issues lately? Have you tried a hard reset? Have you tied disconnecting/reconnecting the ecu?

You may have a hard fault; where something has failed (like the ecu) or a intermittent problem that threw the code, hopefully a hard reset would help. (e.g.: disconnect the battery cables and touch them together for 30 seconds; then, reconnect them to the battery).

To diagnose the problem; I would scan the car with a vw specific scanner, hopefully you would get more trouble codes, than the generic scanner will give you.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ros...q=ross+tech+p0600+site:newbeetle.org&hl=en-US

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no low voltage issues I am aware of, we just drove it to get gas last night with no issue. it started fine and ran good. it was a short trip though.

I did remove the + battery cable, then turned the key on to make sure it drained. do you need to touch the + to ground for a hard reset?

Also, all the power windows and radio etc. all work but it wont turn over at all.

any idea why would be beep? when I drove it a efw spaces away it started beeping slowly, then fast then quit beeping. then after shutting it off it wont even turn over

·
Registered
15,603 Posts
Yes, that is how to reset the ecu. The are basic ideas and don't overlook checking the fuses etc,. These are just basic resetting and checking, the system ideas; if they don't work, then more advanced testing and troubleshooting with a vw scanner are needed. No go? Tow and we can go from there. Do you want to repair it yourself or have a pro deal with it?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
for cost I would like to repair myself but this may get beyond my time/knowledge and we'll have to go with the pro. I finally found a good VW shop, its about 35 miles away though. we've had it for 3 months and had issues. the last thing was the downstream O2 sensor, keeps turning the engine light on and needs replaced. so far I replaced the secondary air pump, washer fluid bottle, had the instrument cluster rebuilt and replaced some vacuum hoses. the shop did the timing chain adjuster and I know the timing belt, thermostat and hoses will need replaced soon also.
the only reason I keep working on this and throwing money and time at it, is that my daughter loves the car and if we can get it running more reliably it will be a good car.

one note is it had an Alpine radio in it which I had to remove to read the codes. I don't think that would cause a ECM failure would it? it still doesn't start with the radio out either.

I will check fuses and at this point it makes sense to get some software t read the VW codes. where do I find that besides the dealer?

·
Registered
15,603 Posts
It depends on how much you want to spend and the depth of capabilities you want the tool to have; there are cheap basic code Vw readers on Amazon for less than $50. Then some that cost more $70+ that can read codes/live data/claim to do some coding, output tests etc. To check these out on Amazon; search "vag scanner". To get a Vw factory level scan tool; check out VCDS from Ross Tech, $250-$350 depending on how much year coverage and tech support you want for the vag line of vehicles.

http://www.ross-tech.com

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
FIXED! hopefully

I called German Performance Options here in Nashville to see what they said about the beeping right before I shut it of and it would not start, they said that is a low voltage warning beep.

Turns out it was a low volt issue. I checked the battery and it as 12.1V. 11.89 with the ignition on. that seemed low so I removed the battery and took to the Autozone next door to where the beetle was sitting, they checked it with a tester- OK but needed a charge. Charged it, same problem wont start.

had it towed to a local shop who ran the VAG scanner and found a ton of errors. the tech checked the fuses and found that Fuse 31 (auto transmission per the diagram I found) on the fuse panel in the side of the dash was blown. reset the computer and cleared the codes.

it starts and runs, now I need to check the charging system and hopefully the issue is fixed, however, it does bother me the fuse was blown.

Any ideas on why that fuse blew and if I have the right definition of the fuse number, let me know.

·
Registered
15,603 Posts
Well, according to the fuse panel diagram; #31 is for the "transmission": (#34 seems to be the fuse; that usually, results in a no start issue)

http://newbeetle.org/forums/1-8-liter-turbo/44812-fuse-box-diagram.html

I am assuming; that your car is a automatic, I don't know if that fuse would kill the ignition?

I don't know why the fuse blew: (tons of possibilities). Now, that things are working; I would take the car to Autozone and have them do a full charging system diagnostic, with their computer. That would eliminate, the charging system; as a problem. Do that and then we can go from there.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, it is an automatic. we've gone a few days now with no warning lights and I checked the battery voltage today. it was 13.8 with the engine running so it think it is charging OK. the alpine radio is out and will stay out for now. we ordered a monsoon radio to put back in so I hope that will fix it for good. I think the radio may caused a slow drain on the battery while it sat for a week while we were on vacation.

thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dead battery today

Well, today the battery was dead. the alpine radio is not installed so not sure what it is. it only sat for a day and a half. We didn't have a problem until I reinstalled the alpine radio. now we are having electrical issues. we bought an original monsoon radio, which arrives today so we'll see if that makes it more stable. I am sure that is the issue because it was fine for 2 months without the radio installed.

thoughts on what may have cuased the battery to die?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,357 Posts
I would check the wiring for the radio. It may not be telling the Monsoon amp to turn off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts