VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago I had transmission issues where I had no light on the dash but the car wouldn't change gears until almost 4000 revs, after reading codes I finally figured out it was the G68 sensor which I replaced and the car was running great.

two night ago I was stuck in traffic for a very long time, eventually got home but the car felt a bit rough, yesterday when I set off it was fine again only....my transmission stop changing gears again...urrrgh

I did a code read and cleared the light, P0715 and P1582 came up...I am presuming the P1582 is purely due to the other one because the car runs sweet other than changing gears. The light and same codes came back after less than a mile of driving.

Now I know the P0715 code is different to the one I pulled a few months ago but is it possible it is the G68 sensor again?

Any idea's and help appreciated.

1998 Beetle 2.0 automatic.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi! I’m experiencing some similar issues with my 1998 automatic bug right now— seems to have trouble shifting after full stop unless car reached 2500-3000 revs; did you ever figure out the issue?
No light on dash for me, just the code read of P1582

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
This code may explain the shifting issues: this is a transmission speed sensor, not a engine speed/cranks sensor:.

17100/P0716/001814 - Transmission Input Speed Sensor (G182): Implausible Signal

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
It would be helpful to use a factory vw level scan tool; view live data, confirm trans sensors are working or not:

If the sensor is not working; the sensor maybe bad or the wiring harness or plug could be damaged.

·
Registered
6 Posts

P1582 looks like a throttle body code, and may be an old code that never got cleared.

What year is your car and how many miles are on it. What tool are you using to pull the code.
It’s a 1998 VW beetle; 156,000 Miles on it,

the tool is the little computer they have you put into your car to track miles for pay by mile insurance

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
That insurance code reader may be giving out false codes, or may not be reading all your codes. It certainly will not be able to read the TCM , transmission control module, which is where transmission codes will be.

Both billy and I linked to the Ross-tech website, if you plan on keeping your Beetle getting a vcds would be an absolutely great idea. Vcds is the gold standard for vw repair. Using it just once for diagnosing and repairing your car can pay for itself.

Just so you know if you haven’t already discovered it by searching, the 01m transmission was one of the worst transmissions vw ever made. You’ve done better than most to make it to 156k.

Here is a link to a guy that knows these transmissions very well. With some diy instructions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That insurance code reader may be giving out false codes, or may not be reading all your codes. It certainly will not be able to read the TCM , transmission control module, which is where transmission codes will be.

Both billy and I linked to the Ross-tech website, if you plan on keeping your Beetle getting a vcds would be an absolutely great idea. Vcds is the gold standard for vw repair. Using it just once for diagnosing and repairing your car can pay for itself.

Just so you know if you haven’t already discovered it by searching, the 01m transmission was one of the worst transmissions vw ever made. You’ve done better than most to make it to 156k.

Here is a link to a guy that knows these transmissions very well. With some diy instructions.

Thank you both!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Now, is this something I should worry about constantly, potentially worsen in time if I don't/ can’t get the car in soon? There’s not light on the dash, and I’m using car right now to get to work and back.
I just took the car in early November to fix a smashed transmission pan and filter and then a generally check up— this code had showed up before then so should I assume they did there own code read and checked it out?
emailing mechanic now as well

thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Do some research on this site and at tdiclub.com on the 01m transmission they are problematic however sometimes they will have an engagement delay into reverse or some other issue and still last a long time. The delay or other issue is just annoying. If the filter and fluid has just been changed that’s a good thing.

Did the smashed pan drain all the fluid out?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes, I will! Thank you.

I can see where there might be an engagement delay of some short.

It drained most of it out but was caught/ noticed in time to get to towed the shop to fix— went over a speed bump below speed but there was a raised sewer grate on the other side and it did a number; even smashed the filter which they said they’d never seen before?

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
17100/P0716/001814 - Transmission Input Speed Sensor (G182): Implausible Signal

Possible Symptoms
Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) ON
Transmission in Limp Mode
Possible Causes
Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Transmission Input Speed Sensor (G182) faulty
Transmission Input Speed Sensor (G182) faulty
Possible Solutions
Check Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Transmission Input Speed Sensor (G182)
Check/Replace Transmission Input Speed Sensor (G182)

The above trouble can definitely cause a malfunctioning transmission and shifting issues, kick it into limp mode.

The impact damage, of the pan; could have caused damage to the speed sensor and/or the related wiring harness. Check the service manual i linked to; to see the speed sensor location and wiring harness info. Again, live data testing with vcds; would confirm, what is and isn't working, to diagnose and troubleshoot the problem.

If the sensor and or harness are bad, need replaced; to fix the problem, it should not be terribly expensive to fix.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts