NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone! so I had to go have my car smog checked, emissions part was fine but my car had a stored code that wouldn't go away when the mechanic tried clearing it. It kept coming back. it was a p0715 code that made me fail the check. took it to my vw mechanic and they changed the sensor for 190 (labor, parts, tax) and I've noticed a major difference in my car. I can feel my car shifting! I guess I've been driving in limp mode all this time? the last time I had to go in was a few months ago because my coolant flange broke, and my mechanic cleared a couple codes so that the CEL light would go away. since then I never noticed my car not shifting and the CEL light never went on. they had asked me if I thought my car felt like it was taking off slowly but I didn't understand what they meant. Now when I press on the pedal frOm a complete stop I can feel a lot of power and all the shifting that follows. I also noticed on the dash that when I put it in drive, the D is highlighted from the beginning and stays highlighted when in drive instead of before I would take it out of park into drive but the D wouldn't be highlighted until I drove it for a while.

I'm just wondering about a couple things, was it bad to drive for a while in limp mode? Is it ok that I can feel my car shifting? I don't have access to a scanner but do you think that the p0715 code will go away now that I can tell my car is shifting again? anyone have this problem too?

Any thoughts and feedback would be nice, my fingers are crossed as I wait to have my car re smog checked haha, hopefully it'll pass now.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
just an update if anyone is interested

my car finally passed its smog and instead of 19 mpg I'm getting 22 mpg :) (I don't drive on the freeway at all)

so if anyone is getting bad mileage and not sure why, look into whether or not your car is stuck in third gear, a sensor may have gone bad like mine did

1 - 2 of 2 Posts