NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which sensors am I suppose to replace? Autozones have 2 different camshaft sensors. 1 Vehicle speed sensor(auto). Can anyone help me locate the right part and location? thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Trying to load one of the Bentley eBahn DVD-ROM programs I have to obtain mre specific information for you. Hit a snag. - appears to be related to my AV program, waiting for eBahn help to respond. Sorry.

M.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Replaced crankshaft position sensor and car still died this morning like 3 times. Now there are no codes.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
What exactly is going on?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What exactly is going on?
Drive for about 10 minutes the car shuts off. Wait 30 second back on the road again. Drive another 30 minutes car sputter and die. If I crank it right away it doesn't wanna start. Wait 3 minutes and start back up fine. Prior codes P0422 & P0725 but now I don't see any code showing up. Maybe I have to drive longer.

·
Registered
11,565 Posts
When I look in the Bentley; it goes through a series of diagnostic procedures; this statment seems to bear out what you are experiencing.

The Engine Speed (RPM) Sensor G28 detects RPM and reference marks. Without an engine speed signal, the engine will not start. If the engine speed signal fails while the engine is running, the engine will stop immediately.

The procedures; testing of both things:

sensor

wiring

If you have replaced Engine Speed (RPM) Sensor G28; it would make sense to test the wiring to the sensor. What was the part number of the sensor you replaced? I would test both; that way you can eliminate things as you go.

The P0422 16806 is "Main Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1"

Diagnostic seems to indicate:

check for leaks

make sure oxygen sensors are working correctly

Then go through cat diagnostic; doesn't pass, replace cat.

I would fix your speed sensor issues and then go from there..

·
Registered
11,565 Posts
VWVortex.com - TECH: MK4 2.0 Crank Position Sensor P0322

The crank position sensor/vw is calling the "Engine Speed (RPM) Sensor G28"; so sounds like they are the same thing. The link above is listing 06A 906 433C; I would look up your specific year and model to make sure...

http://www.mjmautohaus.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=2_8_30_459_3926&info=Bosch_06A906433C_Crank_Position_Sensor_OEM&products_id=1367

Doesn't seem to be a particularly expensive part online but they are probably not the good oem bosch; the vwvortex link seems to indicate the cheap aftermarket versions are prone to early failure: 06A 906 433C - Google Search

If you have already replaced it; I would test the sensor and then the wiring would be the next step... any corrosion on the contacts etc? Sounds like you need to investigate and troubleshoot the circuit....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea, that's the sucker I replaced. Took awhile to get it out. There's another sensor called transmission speed sensor. I hope it's not that one since they said it's even harder. Maybe replacing the cat might solve it. So sad.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Yes P0725 points straight to the engine speed sensor which we call it crankshaft speed sensor. There is a way to test the sensor: pull off the connector, measure the resistance between terminal 1 and 2(the 2 closest to the round end I remember), it should be between 480 and 1000ohms for 2.0L AEG engine. Also measure the resistance between 1 and 3, and 2 and 3, they both should be infinitive. If the resistance are good, check the wire and connector for rust, oxidation, and use some electronic parts cleaner to clean the connector. The symptom you have looks like the engine is losing the rpm signal.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts