NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 99 GLS 1.8 that has given me code P1116 and after seeing that it's about an O2 sensor G39 and heater Z19 I am wondering how hard is it to replace your self? I've never replaced one before and I'd need to get the special socket to do it. I'm fairly mechanical but don't want to screw up getting it out and end up costing me a new CAT too. Are they fairly straight forward to remove without having the car on a lift as all I could do would be jack and stand for elevating.

Also ourious why I can't clear this code ,I've tried several times but my cheap Autel 309 won't do it.

And is checking wiring going to be a fruitless effort? In my mind if it's bad and throwing that code it just seems that it must need replacing since it's the original sensor. Fuse is good.
Thanks for any tips, advice on this!

17524/P1116/004374 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor Heating Bank 1 Sensor 1: Open Circuit

Possible Symptoms
Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) ON
Possible Causes
Fuse(s) faulty
Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor (G39) / Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor Heating (Z19) faulty
Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor (G39) / Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor Heating (Z19) faulty
Possible Solutions
Check Fuse(s)
Check Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor (G39) / Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor Heating (Z19)
Check/Replace Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor (G39) / Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor Heating (Z19)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have never changed one on this vehicle, but I have changed hundreds in my life. You don't have to have the special socket. An open end wrench will work just as well.

The advise I can give you though is to work it slowly. If you start to feel it give, tighten it back just a hair and then start to loosen again. The longer the handle on your wrench the better because the heat that these things get to make them quite difficult to loosen. Also, you may want to wear gloves if the space is tight...padded on the back of the hand gloves. :) When they break free, they break free.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts