VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey guys/gals. I am a new owner of a beautiful Reef Blue Metallic 2013 Beetle 2.0T. When I purchased it, the dealership had to replace the purge valve, and all has been mechanically sound since then. It runs fine, cranks fine, and drives fine. No loss of power. No gas smell. A few days ago my engine light came on P2450 and the code was saying it was a evaporative emission system switching valve stuck open. The dealer has told me to bring it back and they'll resolve the issue but my issue is that I purchased it from a Chrysler Dealer and NOT a VW dealer. I did call VW and they ran my VIN and told me that it checked out as clean on their system and showed as one owner out of California. I'm in Georgia. It has 78k miles on it. Should I be overly concerned about this? I was told that this basically means that the gas vapors are venting directly into the atmosphere rather than being pulled up into the into the engine to burned off. Does it pose a threat in terms of driving it daily?

·
Registered
16,162 Posts
009296 - Evaporative Emission System Switching Valve
P2450 - 000 - Stuck Open

How the purge valves fail and how to test them.

You might double check with VW about the car being possibly a "PZEV" spec vehicle for California; it used to be, that depending on mileage/time of delivery , that a ULEV2 is automatically certified under USC Title 40 & with Zero EVAP, indeed has an automatic extended warranty from 10/120K warranty to 15 years or 150K and evap repairs, were done for free? (found this info on the web).

It seems, a number of issues; can cause, this trouble code, something as simple as the gas cap is loose or the purge valve has failed, electrical issue or leaks from the evap system itself.

Many times, shops, will install non oem parts and these cheap parts, can prematurely fail or they didn't diagnose the problem correctly to begin with.

Do you have a scan tool and what type is it? If you are going to do repairs yourself; then, you would test things and confirm, the problem. A VW factory level scan tool; can enable you to do output tests and confirm, things like the N80 purge valve is working and do evap testing, to see, if there is a leak.

If you plan on keeping this car long term and doing your own repairs; investing in a vw scan tool, is a solid investment (VCDS and OBD11 are the most popular):

VCDS with HEX-V2 Enthusiast | Ross-Tech

I think, you are ok to drive the car; a evap issue, may cause a bit of a drop is gas milage but I would get the issue fixed. What sort of warranty; is the dealership offering you or are they just offering to help for free, etc? Let us know, how you are going to proceed, attempt repairs yourself or take advantage of free repairs from the Dodge dealer or take it to VW, have them do a correct diagnosis, if the Dodge service dept., can't figure it out and we can go from there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have no warranty aside from endurance extended warranty" which does not cover EVAP issues. It isn't an actual VW warranty. The dealer I purchased from is going to cover cost (I'm assuming) as I have only had the car for about 8 days. They replaced the PCV valve the day I picked it up as it had thrown an error code for said part and all was well until two days ago when the CEL came on. I wen to Napa and they used their OB-II scanner and it came back with the P2450 code (evaporative emission system switching valve stuck open). The car is driving and running fine. No gas smell. MPG averaging around 28-30. Taking it to the Dodge dealership that I purchased it from on Wednesday to have them diag it (or attempt to). If they can't figure it out, then I'm taking it to a local VW guy but this will have to be paid out of pocket.

Do you know which valve this P2450 code is referring to? Is it the purge valve?? Is it the vapor vent that releases vapors back into the atmosphere? I'm pissed that I'm already having a CEL light but was also warned that VW's are highly sensitive and love to throw codes. My main concern is that I am supposed to be driving to the outer bacnks of NC for Thanksgiving to see family - should I cancel or is it safe to drive? Not the light is steady on and not flashing and there are no other codes coming up. The EPC light is NOT on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts