NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 2005 vw beetle and I have the clear coat that is flaking off the front bumper. Anyone else having the same issue?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
Babes, I am moving this to paint and body. It will have better traffic for your issue. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I have an 2005 vw beetle and I have the clear coat that is flaking off the front bumper. Anyone else having the same issue?

Several possibilities come to mind. You don't say if the flaking/peeling is coming from an edge or from somewhere in the middle.

If it is from an edge, quite possibly the bumper has had a repaint or refresh. Can you see a paint edge at the seam between the bumper and the body? This is typically where repaints or clear coat refreshes start to peel. The logical but toughest place to properly prep the old surface before spraying. Top quality paint jobs may include the removal of these parts for painting. You should never see this occuring on factory paint, but even new cars sometimes get paint work before being sold, caused by shipping or lot damage.

If the flaking/peeling is out, away from edge, it is an indication the part has been impacted by something, flexed as is it designed to do, but has flexed beyond the capability of the paint/clearcoat to also flex without fracturing the surface. Proper painting of these type parts includes a special primer and an additive to the paint/clearcoat for these surfaces to allow this flexibility in the paint without chipping/flaking/peeling. This could easily happen on factory paint as the paint is only capable of so much flex without fracturing.

A clearcoat refresh (just re-shooting the clearcoat) is the only way to properly resolve the problem. Great care must be taken to remove all clearcoat that does not have a good bond. Painting over paint that is not bonded will ultimately result in the area peeling. New paint will not make old paint stick.

MORAV

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's peeling/ flacking away from the edge. I think it's more from rocks hiting it when I'm on the interstate.

·
First Car! Emil!
129 Posts
I had the same problem when I backed my car into a pole. I found once the plastic bent the paint cracked and over several months it just peeled off like dead skin.

It got so bad I had to take it to Maaco to get it fixed, they did a WONDERFUL job!

$300/bumper.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts