NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
TDIer
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im asking one of the graphic designers i work with to do a custom paint job on my engine cover. If anyone has pictures of there can you please post them? Also if you have any suggestions as to what paint to use that would be great as well. Note this engine cover is just for show and will never stay under the hood while the NB is in operation. Thanks in advanced.

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts
Automotive paint to match the paint on my car.
I only put it on the car for shows. The first time I painted it I painted and cleared it and drove with it and it discolored from the heat of the engine...so decided this time around to just paint and spray a matte finish on it and only bring it out to the shows.

·
Dubbed Spiderman
2,830 Posts

·
1999 Beetle TDI
332 Posts
Do you think the Krylon Fusion spray paint will hold up to the heat and daily use of the car? I was thinking the yellow would be somewhat close to Dee-Bugs exterior color.Just was wondering how long it would hold up..

·
Dubbed Spiderman
2,830 Posts
Do you think the Krylon Fusion spray paint will hold up to the heat and daily use of the car? I was thinking the yellow would be somewhat close to Dee-Bugs exterior color.Just was wondering how long it would hold up..
I don't think so. I don't think any other paint other than High Heat paint will work. Our nB's are extremely hot under the hood and would cook any other paint. Go to your local auto parts store and look through their engine enamel paint. Or go to Home Depot type store and look at their high heat paint. Mine isn't exact, but the cover isn't next to any body panels either and close is good enough for me. :D

OOOOHH AAAAAHHH ;) I want one! But in Yellow :D
I'm not sure if they have the strip lights in Yellow. :dunno: That would be sweet if you could find them. :cool:

·
TDIer
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice pics and info so far thx guys

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
I'm with Joel- no on the Krylon Fusion.

I'd go with the Dupli-Color Engine enamel in Daytona Yellow. It's designed for the engine, with ceramic in the paint and rated at 500 degrees. I've used this same paint on Cup's engine cover, but in Grabber Green. They also have engine enamels in clear (Hi-Gloss and Low-Gloss) I highly reccomend the Dupli-Color engine enamel:bigthumb:

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
Here's my contribution.

I filled the center gap of the cover with JB Stick weld,and sanded it down.

then applied a Dupli-Color Low gloss black engine enamel as a base coat.

Next, I masked off the text for paint
Paint used for the text was Dupli-Color engine enamel- Grabber Green and Testors Arcyl paint. YES MODEL PAINT. The model paint was used before by orger "OveyChris" and proven to hold up under the heat. I can attest that the stuff works. Dupli-Color has a wide assortment of colors in their engine enamel line, so you might be able to use those. I used the Testors Acryl paint, for the airbrush work... more on that in a bit.

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
Next step: masking the Cup/Spore Icon.
I sketched Cup on blank stencil, from Michael's, cut it out and applied the stencil to the engine cover, using low tack spray adhesive.

I then used my Testors airbrush kit, the Arcyl paint, and brushed over the outline of the Cup/Spore icon.

She's starting to take shape...
Removed the Cup/Spore icon to reveal the Cup silhouette.
Masked off the Cup/Spore icon, cleaned up the edges of the "1.8 Turbo" text, then applied a final coat of Dupli-Color low gloss black engine enamel, and finished her off with Dupil-Color low-gloss clear engine enamel.

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
The finished product.

Note: The glare in pic #1 is a false representation- camera flash. The subsequent pics better show the actual low gloss of the clear coat.

The engine cover was attached on Cup in late April of this year and is still on Cup as I post. She's been to ToD, Orlando and points in between as well as daily Florida driving- the cover is still money and is a testament to the Testors Acryl's durability.

Automotive airbrush paint would do the trick and some would say is the ideal way to go: but the Testors Acryl airbrush method seems to be doing the job just as good. I've used this stuff on Cup's original engine cover and it held up great, with no problems. Her original cover is now retired and nicely mounted in my garage:)

Hope this was a help to you:)

·
Registered
207 Posts
I used Krylon plastic paint on mine followed by A LOT of clear coat and it has held up for over a year now with it being on all year round :D

Attachments

·
Registered
207 Posts
the finished product.

Note: The glare in pic #1 is a false representation- camera flash. The subsequent pics better show the actual low gloss of the clear coat.

The engine cover was attached on cup in late april of this year and is still on cup as i post. She's been to tod, orlando and points in between as well as daily florida driving- the cover is still money and is a testament to the testors acryl's durability.

Automotive airbrush paint would do the trick and some would say is the ideal way to go: But the testors acryl airbrush method seems to be doing the job just as good. I've used this stuff on cup's original engine cover and it held up great, with no problems. Her original cover is now retired and nicely mounted in my garage:)

hope this was a help to you:)

wicked job!!!!!

·
TDIer
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
AWESOMES!!!! I cant wait to do mine now

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
do we need to use primer again to paint the engine cover? cheers!
As for me, I didn't use a primer. I used the low-gloss black Dupli-Color engine paint as a base. I've done this on both my engine cover projects; both have held up with no problems.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts