NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to "chrome" or "silver" paint my centre console (the cover over the radio, etc)...

As far as I know (New Beetle Convertible 2006) it is vinyl and should paint well with Dupli-Color vinyl paint.

I have done some research and most people recommend a bit of wet sand first with a very fine grit, then rubbing alcohol, let dry and then 3-4 coats of paint (wait time indicated on spraycan between coats) and then 3-4 coats of gloss

Anyone have any tips on doing this?

Does anyone know where I can find schematics for how to remove all the panels properly without damaging them? Its a pain in the ass trying to figure out how everything comes apart.

I'll take pictures/video along the whole process and maybe post it here as either a tutorial or a "what not to do to your new bug convertible" ... we'll see which...lol

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
I've done some of this. As far as i can tell, that vinyl is just a coating over plastic. You won't be able to paint on it very easily. I had to sand it off and it took forever. It's actually the reason i've been putting off the rest of my painting, that and the cold weather. I posed a similar question to this some months back and here is what i was told. Apparently there is some kind of solvent that wil break up that out layer of "vinyl" or what reminds me of acrylic paint. If you ever noticed, it can be scratched off, not that i recommend doing that. I had a hard time getting the dupli-color to stick without bubbling until i had all of that coating removed. Even the slightest remnent caused a series of bubbles.

Make sure you don't lay your coats on too thick either. Let them build up slowly, making sure you coat it evenly. Don't forget your edges and little nooks that might miss the blast of the spray.

The center of the dash has a how-to here somewhere. Possibly in the audio section?? That is actually my next project along with the guage surround and some other bits i missed last go round.

Good luck with it and if possible, photograph your step-by-step. That would help some of us out tremendously.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I'll definitely take pictures. I did today when I painted my break calipers, I will be posting that in a day or two when I have time.

I'm going to try to test this painting process on a beetle panel before I do one of mine... I wonder which of the panels in the beetle interior is the cheapest? I'd buy a replacement and paint the crap out of it... better than testing on my bug's panels.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts