NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 225 Posts

·
6 Is Better Than 5 ;)
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Arrived on 2/2/11. Purchased for $7200 w/ 44k miles.

As you can see, she was quite DURTY...

I drove her to my house and the ride was different...not really what I was expecting. It seemed like it was taking awhile for the turbo to kick in :dunno:
Since I've never driven one, I can't really compare it to another one...

The interior of the car was filthy upon delivery. The previous owner left change, wrappers, etc...EVEN after he said he was going to detail the inside...

Things I found after purchasing her off of Ebay that were NOT disclosed to me: Broken arm rest, parcel shelf is missing, clear coat is failing on the bumper cover, the FUEL LIGHT is on {faulty cluster}, and the console is scratched and beat up looking.

Also has cheap Ebay Halo lights installed, very crappy install. The gaskets are split, so I will replace w/ OEM.

Anyhow, here she is the first day home

·
6 Is Better Than 5 ;)
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Below is my current laundry list for my car. I will update it regularly.

Vac lines- Purchased
OEM Oil Filter - Purchased
OEM Fuel Filter - Purchased
OEM Cabin Filter - INSTALLED
OEM Oil Drain Plug with Washer - Purchased
OEM NGK Plugs, Set of 4 (PFR6Q) - Purchased
Timing Belt/Water Pump Kit - INSTALLED
SS Brake Lines - INSTALLED
GTI Caliper Carriers - INSTALLED
312mm Rotors - INSTALLED
EBC Ultimax Pads - INSTALLED
OBX Racing 3" DP w/ cat - INSTALLED
2.5" Cat back exhaust - INSTALLED
Unitronic Stage 2+
Audi TT 380cc injectors - Purchased
Audi TT225 MAF housing - Purchased
New oil lines for Turbo - Purchased
Neuspeed P-Flow - INSTALLED
Frankenturbo 3inch to 50mm TIP - Purchased
Frankenturbo highflow exhaust manifold - Purchased
Frankenturbo F4H-T MK1 K04 hybrid turbo - Purchased
Silicone Boost hoses - Purchased
Silicone PCV hoses
TyrolSport SMIC - INSTALLED
VDO Gauges {OP, WT, Bst/Vac} - Purchased
Bernt 3 Gauge Pod - Purchased

Small Stuff:
Fix Armrest
New Bud Vse
Remove snow box - DONE
New parcel shelf
New Headlight Assemblies -INSTALLED
Paint Center Dash - DONE

·
6 Is Better Than 5 ;)
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2/6/11: First day I could really start working on her.
I replaced the cabin air filter and dealt w/ the xm radio wire mess.

I like how they secured the plug into the outlet w/ elec tape.

No more wires...

I removed the inside and outside stickers and gave her a bucket wash since my hose was frozen :rolleyes:

·
6 Is Better Than 5 ;)
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2/16/11:
Started doing a little painting.
I removed the top of the dash to paint first.
Before stripping

During stripping

After stripping

I removed the center dash and removed the remnants of the XM radio wiring

I installed the top part of the dash just to see if I like the color

I'll let the paint set and in a few days I'll hit it w/ some 600 grit. Then I'll give it a few top coats of flat clear coat.

·
6 Is Better Than 5 ;)
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2/16/11:
I started to tackle the center dash but wanted the vents out fist...I do realize the wents COULD have stayed in, but I didn't want to tape them off.
Pic of dash before prep/prime/paint

So...the fun part:
Vents are plastic welded to the dash :rolleyes:

No problem...I'll use my secret tools

....and after a quick trip to Lowes

Now I can remove my vents for what ever reason...Repainting, replacing, ect...

·
Registered
210 Posts
oh and also do you have to take the front of the dash(closest to driver)to get the other one off??? thanks

·
6 Is Better Than 5 ;)
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what do you have to do to fit the bigger brakes???
The brakes are the same size. It's the rotor that is larger. In order for larger rotors, you need to get bigger carriers for your calipers, either GLI, GTI 20th or Audi TT.
Audi TT Caliper Carrier - Carriers Set Audi TT - eBay (item 360343013954 end time Mar-10-11 14:43:20 PST)
Also, you can look on the Vortex for them. That's where I got mine.

oh and also do you have to take the front of the dash(closest to driver)to get the other one off??? thanks
No, to get the one closest to the windshield off, you just slide it forward, towards the windshield.

·
6 Is Better Than 5 ;)
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey......wheres the finished product on the dash? Missing information....what did ya use....how did it turn out?
Oops...Sorry.

I only got as far as removing the rubber coating on the center dash. I had to take advantage of the nice wx so I did my brakes instead.

I used 99% rubbing alcohol and a plastic scraper followed by a 220 grit sponge to remove the rubber coating. I used a 1/2" paddle bit to remove the plastic welds on the vents. To re-attach the vents I used 12mm x 1/2" metal screws w/ 1/4" fender washers. I plan to paint the center dash using the same paint I used for the top dash piece...RustOleum 500F Engine Paint, color Aluminum.

·
Super Moderator
14,719 Posts
I love what you are doing for this Turbo S. Thank you! Shame on the PO for not taking care of it.

Are you painting the dash piece a light color? You will regret it! :eek:

I can't wait to see your TS when the snow is gone, and sunny weather glamour shots abound! :party:

·
New to VDubs, not to cars
280 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. The glare from the black parts are substantial let alone silver colored pieces. It's probably going to reflect off the windshield and make you not able to see out in front of you.

·
6 Is Better Than 5 ;)
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I love what you are doing for this Turbo S. Thank you! Shame on the PO for not taking care of it.

I can't wait to see your TS when the snow is gone, and sunny weather glamour shots abound! :party:
Thanks.

The center dash will be painted Aluminum, but the rest of the dash will remain black.

I can't wait for the snow to be gone either. I will definately be posting boat loads of photos :D

I was thinking the same thing. The glare from the black parts are substantial let alone silver colored pieces. It's probably going to reflect off the windshield and make you not able to see out in front of you.
If the glare irritates me too much, I'll probably just wrap it in carbon fiber wrap :cool:

·
New to VDubs, not to cars
280 Posts
If the glare irritates me too much, I'll probably just wrap it in carbon fiber wrap :cool:
Ironically, I was just looking at 3M DiNoc when you posted this response.
I vote CF!

I'm thinking about doing my hood and my roof to match my CF Kercher wing.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The 3M DiNoc won't match real CF in any way. It looks quiet CF-like but the CF-look films from CFC (do they sell in the US?) looks way more "realistic".

The DiNoc CF look is made by embossing the cf structure into a matte foil - the digitally printed ones (from CFC for example) match real CF a whole lot more. I could compare a CFC film to real CF once on a new Mini Cooper S with a CFC CF look film on the roof and a John Cooper Works CF rear wing - incredibly close!

I've already worked with both films and my conclusion is: DiNoc is very easy to handle if you're new to wrapping films on/around your car. CFC looked more realistic.

1 - 20 of 225 Posts