VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having trouble with my battery going dead overnight or in a couple of hours. I used a test light to check for shirts and the light stayed lit until I disconnected the interior relay wire. I left that wire disconnected all night and reconnected it in the morning and the car started right away. I tested the relays and they seem good do while I was under the dash I disconnected the other end of the relay wire.

Do I need a new wire or a new relay panel or is it something else?
Thanks,
Maria

·
Registered
15,029 Posts
Finding the source of a parasitic draw; can be a challenge, here is a good video, discussing the issue and testing strategies to narrow down the culprit:

Basics: do you have any aftermarket accessories; like a stereo, installed on your VW (stock, aftermarket stereos/amps, are the most common cause of parasitic draws we see)? A simple process, of elimination; is to disconnect, suspected parts; like, a stereo and see, if the draw is reduced and the problem, goes away.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Finding the source of a parasitic draw; can be a challenge, here is a good video, discussing the issue and testing strategies to narrow down the culprit:

Basics: do you have any aftermarket accessories; like a stereo, installed on your VW (stock, aftermarket stereos/amps, are the most common cause of parasitic draws we see)? A simple process, of elimination; is to disconnect, suspected parts; like, a stereo and see, if the draw is reduced and the problem, goes away.
Thanks. The only thing I'm sure of is that it's not the radio lol.

·
Registered
15,029 Posts
Is yours stock or aftermarket; disconnecting, suspected devices, is a quick way, to know for sure.

A wiring diagram; may help to see, what is connected, to the relay in question.

A full auto scan with a factory vw level scan tool; like vcds, may reveal some helpful trouble codes, as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
When did this problem start? Randomly? Or after work was done or something new was added to your car? Lights, radio, table saw etc?

If you have an aftermarket radio that’s the first place to look.

Do you have the stock monsoon disk player in your trunk?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When did this problem start? Randomly? Or after work was done or something new was added to your car? Lights, radio, table saw etc?

I suppose you could say the problem started as soon as I bought it. The guy I bought it from said it needed a new battery because it would go dead overnight. I bought a new battery and it still went dead overnight or in a couple of hours. The radio was a stock monsoon with the disc changer in the trunk but I put in an after market radio. But the problem was happening before I switched radios. The previous owner said he had a new/rebuilt transmission put in. Do you think a wire could have gotten pinched? Something else I just thought of, he also said sometimes the left turn signal works sometimes it doesn't. Could that be the problem?
Thanks,
Maria

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I do have an aftermarket radio but the problem was happening when I had the stock radio too.
Maria

·
Registered
15,029 Posts
Have you disconnected the radio and see if that helps? We have seen, BOTH aftermarket and stock vw stereos cause a parasitic draw. Do you have a monsoon system?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Disconnect that rear disk changer and see what happens. It is a stock option but there is a known issue with that changer.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
You may be able to just pull the fuse. I don’t see a dedicated monsoon fuse so it might be part of the radio fuse #42. If you pull that one make sure the power to that rear changer is off. Disconnecting is the preferred method of isolating the changer.

MKIV FUSE LIST

Top left to right by collum

1. Washer nozzle heaters, glove compartment light, memory seat control module (10A).

2. Turn signal lights (10A).

3. Fog light relay, instrument panel light dimmer switch (5A).

4. License plate light (5A).

5. Comfort system, cruise control, Climatronic, A/C, heated seat control modules, automatic day/night interior mirror, control module for multi-function steering wheel, control unit in steering wheel (7.5A).o,

6. Central locking system (5A).

7. Back-up lights, speedometer vehicle speed sensor (VSS) (10A).

8. Open

9. Anti-lock brake system (ABS) (5A).

10. Engine control module (ECM): gasoline engine (10A); diesel engine, Model Year 2000 > (5A).

11. Instrument cluster, shift lock solenoid (5A).

12. Data Link Connector (DLC) power supply (7.5A).

13. Brake tail lights (10A).

14. Interior lights, central locking system (10A).

15. Instrument cluster, transmission control module (TCM) (5A).

16. A/C clutch, after-run coolant pump (10A).

17. Open.

18. Headlight high beam, right (10A).

19. Headlight high beam, left (10A).

D

20. Headlight low beam, right (15A).

21. Headlight low beam, left (15A).

22. Parking lights right, side marker right (5A).

23. Parking lights left, side marker left (5A).

Bottom left to right

24. Windshield and rear window washer pump, windshield wiper motor (20A).

25. Fresh air blower, Climatronic, A/C (25A).

26. Rear window defogger (25A).

27. Motor for rear windshield wiper (15A).

28. Fuel pump (FP) (15A).

29. Engine control module (ECM) gasoline engine (15A); diesel engine (10A).

30. Power sunroof control module (20A).

31. Transmission control module (TCM) (20A).

32. Injectors: gasoline engine (10A); diesel engine (15A).

33. Headlight washer system (20A). Open

34. Engine control elements (10A).

35. 12 V power outlet (in luggage compartment) (30A).

36. Fog lights (15A).

37. Terminal (86S) on radio, Instrument cluster (10A).

38. Central locking system (with power windows), lugging age compartment light, remote/fuel tank door, motor to unlock rear lid (15A).

39. Emerggency flashers (15A).

40. Dual tone horn (20A).

41. Cigarette lighter (15A).

42. Radio (25A).

43. Engine control elements (10A).

44. Heated seats (15A).

Fuse arangements in fuse bracket/battery:

S162. Glow plugs (coolant) (50A).

S163. Fuel pump (FP) relay/glow plug relay (50A).

S164. Coolant fan control (FC) control module/coolant fan (40A).

S176. Relays panel interior (110A).

S177. Generator (GEN) (90 Amp.) (110A).

Generator (GEN) (120 Amp.) (150A).

S178. ABS (hydraulic pumps) (30A).

S179. ABS (30A).

S180. Coolant fan

·
Registered
2000 GLS
3 Posts

The disk player in the back was the issue with my Mom's 2000 beetle. Disconnected it, problem solved.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
You disconnected the disk changer and it wouldn’t start on the morning? Was the battery fully charged when you disconnected it? What was the charge? What was the charge in the morning? A multimeter is handy for getting that information and you will need one to follow the links billymade put up in the second post in this thread. I was hoping it would be an easy diagnosis but apparently that’s not to be the case.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was hoping for that too lol. Yes the battery was fully charged. The problem seems to be the relay panel interior wire. Once I disconnect that the battery stays charged. I've included a picture of where I disconnected it under the dashboard

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Ok got it. If you leave that wire disconnected will the car start and run? If it starts and runs what doesn’t work? One thing I see with used cars is the previous owners hook all kinds of aftermarket junk up from stereos to light bars, interior ambient lighting, gauges etc. When they sell the car to a new owner often they remove whatever it was they hooked up but they will leave some of the wiring.

If your car starts and runs and everything works I would leave the wire disconnected. If something does not work without that wire then that will be where you need to investigate further. A short or something else.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Looking at the diagram you have pictured in your post. That looks like a diagram for the fuse block that sits on top of the battery not under the dash. I believe I have an under the dash diagram I’m in the process of trying to find it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok got it. If you leave that wire disconnected will the car start and run? If it starts and runs what doesn’t work? One thing I see with used cars is the previous owners hook all kinds of aftermarket junk up from stereos to light bars, interior ambient lighting, gauges etc. When they sell the car to a new owner often they remove whatever it was they hooked up but they will leave some of the wiring.

If your car starts and runs and everything works I would leave the wire disconnected. If something does not work without that wire then that will be where you need to investigate further. A short or something else.
If only it were that simple. The battery stays charged with that wire disconnected but I have to reconnect it to start the car. Could there be a short in that wire? Could it be pinched or cut somewhere? Could it be the relay panel under the dash or the fuse in the motor? My husband is thinking about just putting in a kill switch to solve the problem.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
If only it were that simple. The battery stays charged with that wire disconnected but I have to reconnect it to start the car. Could there be a short in that wire? Could it be pinched or cut somewhere? Could it be the relay panel under the dash or the fuse in the motor? My husband is thinking about just putting in a kill switch to solve the problem.
I know some people who have kill switches. Since this seems to be starting related it could be a short in the starter. A way to check would be to first disconnect the battery then remove the big black wire from the stud at the starter, isolate that wire so it doesn’t touch anything then reconnect the battery. When you reconnect that starter wire you will have to once again disconnect the battery or you will get a huge electric arc that may damage something.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts