NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always put the tranny in Reverse when parking a manual transmission.

Manual says to use 1st.

I'm sure there is a good reason for this based on the design/build of the tranny, any ideas why?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Purely a guess on my part.
To engage reverse you've pushed down the spring that is there to avoid hitting reverse by accident.
The spring is relatively light, and being compressed most of time could lead to early failure.
That then leads to a crunched reverse gear when you go for a gear and hit reverse by mistake.
As to why they suggest 1st gear instead of 5th, I expect that’s to reduce any impact to the engine if the car actually did roll (5th gear spins engine faster).

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
I would never park my car and rely on the parking brake only. Always in gear. 1st is what I use.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I would never park my car and rely on the parking brake only. Always in gear. 1st is what I use.
^+1 on this, manual cars need all the help they can get between the parking/emergency brake and 1st or Reverse.

·
M16S VW & VW53HRB
512 Posts
It shouldn't go anywhere with the handbrake on unless it's in poor condition. I would leave it in gear on a hill, but on the flat it'll be perfectly fine.

That's how we've done it for years and years here in the UK without any trouble.

It would be more dangerous to forget it was in gear and start the car for it to leap forwards or backwards.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It shouldn't go anywhere with the handbrake on unless it's in poor condition. I would leave it in gear on a hill, but on the flat it'll be perfectly fine.

That's how we've done it for years and years here in the UK without any trouble.

It would be more dangerous to forget it was in gear and start the car for it to leap forwards or backwards.
Being that "Health and Safety" have decreed that this Bug won't crank unless the clutch is all the way to the floor; I don't guess I'd have a problem with the car starting in gear.

Does hurt not being able to push start or use the starter as a last ditch motor to get out of a tough situation!

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
The reverse gear is a small gear with out a lot of teeth. 1st is a much larger, beefer gear so less chance of damage. On flat ground it does'nt make much difference. On an incline I would use 1st gear, the emergency brake and turn the wheels into the curb.

·
&#956;&#959;&#955;&#8060;&#957; &#955;&#945;&#946;
213 Posts
As to why they suggest 1st gear instead of 5th, I expect that’s to reduce any impact to the engine if the car actually did roll (5th gear spins engine faster).
Oops, friend, you got that one backwards. If the car rolled in 5th, which is much more likely than being able to roll in 1st gear, by the way, it would "spin" the engine much slower than if it were in 1st.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts